Saturday 12 March 2022

Not There Yet

 

“I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love, for you have seen my troubles, and you care about the anguish of my soul. You have not handed me over to my enemies but have set me in a safe place.” Psalm 31:7-8

 

  There has been much dialogue about forgiveness over the last forty-eight hours; how we need to forgive Bruxy for the damage he left in the wake of his secrets coming into the light.

  I know this.

  I am just not ready yet.

  What is disturbing is the impression that granting forgiveness is somehow a barometer of what sort of Christian I am. The inability to forgive is a black mark against me. Do I want to? Yes. Do I trust that the Lord will bring me to that point? Absolutely! God knows I am incapable of doing on my own.

  Years ago as a baby Christian, my mentor silenced me when I began to share of the healing that was taking place specifically around the abuse. She cut me off with these words, “If you are still talking about it, you aren’t healed.” 

  That was one of the last times I went to her for advice and guidance.

  Is that what a declaration of forgiveness is meant to do? Silence us before we have a chance to unravel the deep layers of hurt?

  The barrage of unpleasant memories is nearly overwhelming. I am surprised and saddened about the raw anger and grief they have stirred up because I thought I had moved on. (A nasty little voice in my head says I should have by now.)

  But then, my life is wrapped with the chronic and constant companion of PTSD because of the compounded and lasting effect of multiple traumatic events. It’s hard to forget when you are constantly ambushed by panic or tears that a mere word can trigger. (Yes, I am deeply angry about this.)

  Recent events have been a colossal trigger.

  I am trying very hard not to get buried in the pain. Again.

 

  Do I trust or don’t I? That is the question.

  The church has been a place of great healing. I can thank the good and kind men God brought across my path for much of it: my pastor, our home church leaders, the men in my home church who have been nothing but kind and generous. To turn my back on them because of the poor choices of another would be so sad.

  It would set me back by years…it took years to reach the point I was even comfortable in the presence of these men. They didn’t push me. They treated me with the highest respect. To my amazement, I began to feel safe around them.

  And that is the greatest cause of my grief and sense of loss. I am bewildered and unsure. Do I continue to trust my judgment about these men or do I walk away?

  Do I trust God?

  Or do I simply wait suspiciously on the sidelines for the “true nature” of men to reveal itself. Again. Regardless of how good and nice they are. Abusers are very good at being “nice.” It’s why I ended caught up in a cycle of chronic abuse in the first place. I so wanted to believe they cared that I made allowances for anything that was untoward or inappropriate.

  Oh, Lord, what a mess.

  Men, I am sorry, sorry for feeling this way, sorry for being so afraid. I have to hang on to the hope that you are not all the same because I know in my head you are not. It will take time for my heart to fall in line. Please be patient with me as I wrestle through these thoughts and feelings. This, too, will take time.

  Can I forgive Bruxy? Not today.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...