Thursday 17 March 2022

Gratitude Returns

 

“Why am I discouraged? Why am I so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again—my Savior and my God!” Psalm 42:5-6

 

  I have finally found a metaphor that has given me some peace. It isn’t the wounds of the past that have been torn open. It is the tender skin around the scars that has been stretched and maimed by recent events. It helps me view the terrible memories with the knowledge I have not turned my back on the healing that has already happened.

  In some ways I have suffered a set-back but in no way is this river as deep or as black as some I have travelled. My mind has remained intact. It didn’t slip sideways into oblivion, the place of no memory, thoughts or consciousness. It’s an odd thing to be thankful for: being present in the pain of today.

  I am not alone in this place of collective pain. Somehow it’s easier to bear knowing that. As much as I grieve for my sisters whose lives reflect my own, we are a community. We have gathered to mourn and share and weep and plant tiny seeds of hope.

  These seeds will grow.

  On their branches will be blossoms of grace, forgiveness, restoration, and joy.

  How beautiful it will be!

 

  Maybe I can thank Bruxy this morning. Without his having done what he did I wouldn’t have found this place of belonging. I wouldn’t have discovered that briefly lowering the mask is the start of freedom. 

  I wouldn’t have realized how badly I need people to come alongside this part of my journey. Amazingly, I am ready to share my boat because there are others who need to be floated along their own Black River. It’s a good boat, she is, built of faith and promise.

  My soul lifts with hope for the first time in days. 

  We will get through this, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...