Saturday 3 August 2019

This Little Light of Mine


“And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised.”

  I get so excited when an idea bursts into my head! Especially when it is an answer to a prayer I didn’t know I was even praying!
  While our provincial parks are beautiful with their varied terrain, the wildlife, and the quiet, the campfire wood they offer is usually pretty lousy. It’s green or too old and half rotten. Because most of the parks are isolated and we are not allowed to bring our own wood from another part of the province to prevent the spread of invasive species, we have no choice but to work with what they have. Besides, the car is already full. There’s no room for wood anyways.
  But, and a great big smile for the best idea I’ve had in a long time! I have a nozzle that attaches to a small propane tank. It is used for soldering copper pipe. Part of our existing camp kit is small propane tanks for the camp stove. This means I have a mini flamethrower to get the wood burning!
  Mwahahaha! Take that wood!

  Is this type of inspiration the sort of thing the Holy Spirit is involved with?
  I say yes.
  Why?
  Because it is important, at least to me it is. It’s one of the best parts of camping. The nightly bonfire, the baked potatoes cooked in the ashes, the peace in watching embers glow and fall and make recognizable shapes. It’s a simple pleasure but a good one.
  Being inspired to bring along a blow torch is a sparrow moment.

  These little details, these little love-gift moments, have played a crucial role in my ability to trust God with the big stuff. They fuel the fire in my heart to want to learn to love Him better and to be the type of person He calls me to be.
  This leads me back to the question we were asked at church a while ago. A question I’ve been mulling over ever since, “Do I love God for who He is or do I love Him for what He can do for me?” I believe it can be both. Because what He does, has done, and will do is the perfect manifestation of who He is.
  And that being love in all the ways love manifests itself.
 
  Friends, something has changed. While I can’t pinpoint exactly what it is, it is a good change. I find myself smiling more, laughing more. Despite the odd hiccup that my mom reminded me is simply part of life and not because I have PTSD. (Thanks Mom!) 
  Oh! Thank you Holy Spirit! I think my fear of emotions has finally been purged. Hmmm...didn't even realize I was afraid of them.
  That is what God has done for me. He gives me a blow torch and I give Him my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 3

   "God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs." Matthew 5:10   I made a decision a...