Monday 12 August 2019

All Things Bright and Beautiful


  “Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was good!” Genesis 1:31

  I’ve been watching a micro-drama unfold amongst the blooms of the Black Eyed Susan patch beside the back door. It involves a pair of one of the most feared creatures on God’s earth. Yup. Spiders.  One measures around two inches from leg tip to leg tip. She is a Yellow Garden Spider or to be scientific, an Agriope aurantia. The other is a tiny White Cross Spider, Araneus diadematus, barely bigger than my pinky fingernail. She’s too small to get a decent photo.
  It would appear the larger garden spider is rather possessive of the prime territory afforded by the flowers. During the last two nights, she has moved her web twice to the spot in the flowers where the smaller spider had spun hers, forcing the smaller one to move. I suppose it is move or be eaten.
  While I don’t particularly like spiders, my son’s passion for the creepy creatures has given me an appreciation for their other worldly beauty. I do like the fact they are mosquito eating machines. They are also non-poisonous.
  I can also freely admit I like them as long as they don’t sneak up on me. (Smile.)
 
  A young frog has moved into the pond as well; another welcome addition to the anti-mosquito movement. Before going away I had been watching for them to appear because every summer at least one or two take up residence amongst the lily pads. They vanish when the cold weather rolls in.
  I’ve also seen a couple of wood frogs in the flower beds. I’d recently learned they freeze solid in the winter unlike their watery cousins. Their heart stops but there is some sort of natural antifreeze in their blood that prevents it from freezing. Come spring, as the ice withdraws, they thaw out and begin living their froggy lives as though winter never happened.
  Scientists are investigating these abilities in a quest for new heart medicines.
 
  My home is in a valley. No matter what direction I am heading, there are high places on the road where the view is magnificent, overlooking the entire valley. The view is a patchwork of farm fields scattered with clusters of trees. The dead straight road soars into heaven at either end, vanishing into the sky. Toss in a sunset when I am heading north, when mauve shadows reach across the earth, it is so beautiful it takes my breath away.

  Lord, thank You for all You have made. Thank You for giving me the eyes to see and the heart to rejoice in all Your wonders, big and small. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 3

   "God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs." Matthew 5:10   I made a decision a...