Tuesday 13 August 2019

The Art of Being


 
“I (God) have given special skill to all the gifted craftsmen so they can make all the things I have commanded you to make.” Exodus 31:6

  I have to thank my pastor for leading me to this chapter in the Bible where God has begun organizing His people to build the Temple and all its requirements. He told me in his email that Bezalel, the master craftsmen in charge of all the other craftsmen, was one of only two people in the entire Old Testament whom God anointed with the Holy Spirit. The other was the prophet, Ezekiel.
  I spent a fair bit of the camping trip immersed in drawing, trying to capture the essence of Killbear Provincial Park. My motivation is a combination of gratitude for God’s creations as well as rising up to a challenge. The pen and ink drawings were far more successful than the watercolour sketches except for a deer drawn from memory that had a striking resemblance to a donkey. Smile. It happens. I haven’t quite figured out the colours needed to capture the massive banks of pink/orange/peach granite that fold into the navy/purple water’s edge.  
  Many a person has told me how much they wished they had my talent but this morning has opened my eyes another notch. The talent, the innate ability to draw is a gift. The Holy Spirit fuels the passion, the dedication to improving my craft. The Spirit is what enables me to stay still and focused on the task at hand.
  In the deepest moments of concentration, I disappear and become one with the drawing. The page becomes my world. In that moment, past, present and future become nonexistent. I have always called it, “Being in the zone.” But that idea has been reframed because I realize now this happens because I am at one with God through the act of creating.
  It also explains why I have used art as a way of grounding myself when the anxiety is bad. It enables me to over-ride my inner turmoil to sense the presence of God. I also now understand why I was able to use the art as a form of prayer when words failed me. My doubt about whether or not this was “right” has been put to rest.
  Maybe this is also why I have such a passion to teach. It’s so others can experience God, the Creator, through the act of creating.

  There were a couple of young girls at the beach who politely asked if they could see what I was painting. I’d already had a lengthy conversation with the older girl as we paddled in the swimming area. She kept asking me if she was bothering me by talking. Not at all!
  I’d just started a watercolour sketch of a cloud dotted sky, the rippling water and the illusive pink granite from the comfort of my camp chair. They were curious about the paints and asked if they could watch what I was doing. I took a moment to explain how they worked when the paper was wet or the effect if the paper was dry. They asked why I wasn’t using an easel. Good question! My paper was taped to the back of the paper pad to prevent it from blowing away.
  Their mother was sitting beside us, listening. Her girls were filled with excitement to try painting with watercolours. She thanked me for taking the time with them but I have to admit, seeing their eagerness to explore this art form was all the thanks I needed.
  Who knows, one of them might be the next Leonardo Davinci. AMEN!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 3

   "God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs." Matthew 5:10   I made a decision a...