Wednesday 29 May 2019

It's Not What I Thought It Was


  “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” Mathew 3:2 NIV

  I have chosen to use the NIV translation instead of the New Living Translation that I usually work from because it aligns nearly word for word to a few other translations I checked out. The NLV is written as “Repent for your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of God is near.”
  But I learned something tonight. Something important that can’t wait until tomorrow because it’s an earlier work day so no post in the morning. I also wanted to think about what I learned tonight at home church while it is still fresh in my mind.
  In many of my road trips, I’ve seen this verse on billboards. It’s often one that ends up being on TV during a sports broadcast. It’s also the one the crazy guy in the movies has written on a piece of cardboard and is holding it up to passing cars. Most often he shows up in the movies where the world is ending. (I watch those frequently…it’s a thing. Maybe it’s because the world always ends up saved in some form or another.)
  This verse has always troubled me. I’d always felt shamed and convicted and inadequate because it drove home the understanding that I was a sinner. It burdened me every time I drove past the scroll emblazoned billboards, even before I came to Jesus and it has burdened me off and on since.
  I thought repent meant I was to get down on my hands and knees and beg God’s forgiveness for everything I had done wrong. I thought I could never repent enough to be worthy of such unconditional love, sinner that I am. I keep on sinning. I keep on doing things that keep me apart from God.
  Oh, Lord, what terrible ideas can come our way when we lack understanding!
  And I have to say, it pays to read more than one translation because I feel the NLV missed the boat on this one. I feel it should read, repent from your sins and turn to God.
  Tonight, I have learned what “repent” actually means.

  The Greek word, originally used before it was translated into English as “repent”, implies a change of mind and purpose.  (www.biblehub.com)
  A change of mind and purpose usually includes a change of direction in my experience.
  Instead of feeling helpless about making changes in my life, to repent in the true sense of the word has empowered me tremendously because it is all about having the freedom to choose. Instead of being ashamed of how I eat, what I weigh, and a bunch of other things that I constantly ask God to forgive me for, I can repent! I can go in a different direction.

  (Long Pause.)

  I honestly didn’t know I had that much power. (There’s a pretty big back story to the reasons for believing I didn’t.)
 
  This is big. No. It’s bigger than big but I know for sure the direction I am going in is the right one because it is pointing right to Jesus.
  And I will end with a smile, imagining myself in the peanut butter aisle, walking past my favorite instead of putting it in the cart. That, my friends, is true repentance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 4

  "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked." Psalm 1:1   I don't have to go too far to find wicked ad...