Wednesday 22 May 2019

An Early Rising: The Gift of Time


  “He said to them, ‘As soon as you enter Jerusalem, a man carrying a pitcher of water will meet you.’” Luke 22:10
 
  A few more thoughts about this passage came to mind as I puttered around the garden, enjoying one of the first really nice days we’ve had this spring.
  I wondered if this pitcher contained the water Jesus washed the Disciple’s feet with. It would make the small parade through Jerusalem all the more significant symbolically not only because it mirrored Jewish ritual, but it turns it on its head by infusing it with humility.
   Jesus tells Peter, who protested Jesus washing his feet, “Unless I wash you, you won’t belong to me.” John 13:8
  I believe there are many Jewish laws about hygiene, too. Somewhere along the line I heard how dirty feet would get with no sanitation systems in the towns and lots of animals sharing the road. They did wear sandals. Jesus washed far more than dust away. He washed away the dirtiest dirt of the world.

  While typing out the first quote this morning, I also realized this water carrying man is an image of Jesus Himself.

  As I cut away dead branches from the hedge between my neighbour’s yard and mine (isn’t that symbolic!), I spent a great deal of time thinking and praying about my own “journey through Jerusalem.”
  I realized I had a fair bit of forgiving to do.
  My journey has taken me to a few different churches. The reasons I left them were varied. One was simply because I had moved away. Even though it wasn’t all that far, financial difficulties limited my ability to travel.
  Another was because I was hurt and left feeling abandoned during the darkest days on the Black River. I have a vague, ghost of a memory of the pastor coming to the local hospital the first time I was admitted for mental health reasons but that was it. No other contact. That’s where the forgiving needs to happen.  I can give thanks I met one of my dearest friends there who has been by my side all this time.
  Hmmm, this is an area I could use some growth in myself, reaching out to those who may not be able to reach in for any number of reasons.
  I did return a few times. Once was because I was invited to speak about mental health and the Krasman Centre. After the service, I stood in the lobby to offer people an opportunity to speak with me and to hand out flyers. I witnessed more than one person go out of their way to avoid coming anywhere near where I was standing. Lord, I must forgive them for their misunderstanding, their ignorance and prejudice because it did cause me a great deal of hurt. I suppose the hurt is also because of a great deal of pride. (Forgive me, Lord, for judging others!)
  But it was the church where I honoured Jesus’ commands by being baptized there despite having been baptized as a child: the practice of another faith. It is the place I found freedom in worship.
  For a long time, I was simply not well enough to go to church at all. I wanted to but didn’t know where. The church I had been baptized at was simply too big and busy for someone with anxiety. It was overwhelming to think of returning and trying to cope with it all each and every week. I did try on a couple of occasions but it was exhausting.
  So now I am here, attending a smaller church with a big heart and a focus on community, on peace, and of course, on Jesus! I feel I have finally come home. Thank You, Lord for inspiring an acquaintance to invite me to go there.
  I also thought about my transient…what…lack of commitment? Maybe it is part of who I am simply because my life has brought about many moves from across the country to across town. My little house is the longest I've lived anywhere.
  But this transient/transitioning/transforming path leading me to these various churches does not reflect my deeply rooted commitment to God. Pentecostal, Evangelical, Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, and Catholic all enriched my life tremendously. They continue to do so! Whether I attended for a season or a day, they helped me on this journey by teaching me the universal message of freedom and love Jesus offers every one of us, regardless of religion. Regardless of how poorly we humans are at living in and through this message.
  Lord, I have spoken of being hurt. Forgive me for hurting others because of my enthusiasm to share Your message or because of neglecting to do just that. Thank You for unlocking my heart so I can learn to love better. In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 4

  "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked." Psalm 1:1   I don't have to go too far to find wicked ad...