As decided, I took my sketchbook and pens and went for a drive in search of subject matter to paint. The trip ran roughly north and west, zig-zagging along quiet sideroads where the only traffic was a chipmunk running up the road. The roads west become hilly and are blanketed with forest. There weren't as many dilapidated barns as I'd expected but there were a couple with a few missing boards and saggy backed roof lines.
There's one just around the corner from me. It's in good shape, too although the foundation is surrounded by wild and unkempt brush and grasses. What inspired me was the pond in front, reflecting the image of the building as though it were a mirror. Cattails lined the bank making a home for the frogs who sang to each other.
The painting is all in the seeing. I spent some time sketching, cementing the image into my mind. It's possible to replace the fine looking building with one less loved.
The day was hazy, the shadows blurred, the sky was a non-descript gray. I need to spend some time cloud watching. Doesn't that sound like a delightful chore?
As I was heading home, I came across a tiny old cedar shake house that was slowly sinking back into the land. Long grasses knocked at the door, trees peered in the broken paned windows. A line of fence posts acted as guardians, keeping the bright yellow canola from the field beside the house at bay. The combination of gray shakes with a hint of their once bright red paint against the brilliant gold was breathtaking.
As I sketched I wondered who had lived there. The windows frames were still mostly white, it had a steel roof with only a hint of rust. This little home had been loved at one point. It would be easy enough to find out who by researching the address in the archives but perhaps some things are better left to the imagination.
"When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men." Eph 4:8
The Black River is a journey in faith. It delves into an exploration of life: from the calm, clear waters of the good days, the mundane, to the swirling eddies and deep waters of issues that face every one of us. Thank you for visiting this site. You can contact me personally at: godandtheblackriver@gmail.com
Sunday, 5 July 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Loss
"The Lord cares deeply when His loved ones die." Psalm 116:15 There have been two people lost in our little community to the ...
-
"Before the mountains were born, before You gave birth to the earth and the world, from beginning to end, You are God." Psalm 9...
-
H and I went the Circle theatre. Its a local movie house that was established in the 1920's. They redid the interior a while ago but k...
-
I met up with a woman who had been out of my life for a long while. She had been at my baptism in 2006 and after hearing my testimony, a t...
Such a beautiful word picture Susan. Thank you for taking me on your adventure and so graphically!
ReplyDeleteYou are most welcome!
DeleteI too wonder about the past dwellers of places. It gets the creative juices going.
ReplyDeleteIt does indeed!
Delete