Tuesday 16 August 2016

Rain by Susan L.

  The ground is sighing with relief as a gentle, steady rain falls this morning. Wafts of moisture laden air swirl in through the window. I'd almost forgotten how lovely it smells. It's been that long. What's left of the lawn seems to be turning green before my eyes, the surviving weeds anyways. It will mean no hike tonight even if it stops raining. The mosquitoes would be merciless.
  The muscle aches are even more of a reason to take a night off.
  Having the cell phone announce distances walked while huffing and puffing around the trail made me realize the official park map measurements are extremely underestimated. They might have been calculated in straight lines instead of actually following the loops and twists of the trail. Probably pre GPS. I've reached six K without having to go the entire perimeter of the park as the map says. Taking the time to walk up and down the road for a bit at the end of yesterday's hike finished off the distance at ten minutes quicker than the day before.
  A little dance, a fist pump and whispered exclamation of "Yes!" celebrated that accomplishment.
  I've decided to do something while walking the trails as well. Being able to enter the park for free, a blessing for sure, had me ask myself about how to return the blessing. I came across an empty, plastic water bottle (please, stop buying them!) and picked it up. A while later, a broken chip bag. A pair of socks was also picked up. (I bet there's a Mom wondering where they went to! Darn dryer!) Next time, I'll bring a bag to put the garbage in. It's a small service for the privilege of having such a beautiful place to walk. I thank my friend, H, for her inspiration.
  I found myself judging the people who so carelessly toss garbage away.
  Numerous cigarette butts litter the entire route. It's a good thing they didn't ignite the tinder dry grass when dropped. That's a scary thought.
  I pondered this reaction, this judgement, and realized the garbage is symptomatic of how we treat this beautiful, big blue ball we live on. Fast food bags are tossed out the car window. Wax coated coffee cups make up the bulk of roadside trash. The environmentally sound practice of recycling isn't such a great idea. The open blue bins holding plastics, tins, and papers when placed at the curb are targets of the wind. The trash gets scattered far and wide. There needs to be a design improvement so this doesn't happen. They should have lids.
  Stewardship, like friendship and relationship, is another big ship. They make up a triangle. The strongest structure known to man.
  "Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful." 1 Cor 4:2
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...