Sunday 30 April 2023

Weighty Thoughts

   "And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all He has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice--the kind He will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship Him. Don't copy the behaviour and customs of the this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:1-2

  There are no such things as coincidences. This was the passage in today's service. In light of the dietary changes I am introducing into my life, it fit perfectly.
  So I got thinking in church about my attitudes towards food, weight, and goal setting in particular. As thoughts wandered, I realized this is another sort of pilgrimage, a journey towards being and feeling healthier. Losing weight will be a bonus for sure! I am thankful to have a friend travel alongside, but I need to remember the One who is also in this with us.
  Part of Gina Livy's program is teaching us to be mindful of what we eat and how our bodies feel. It's not something I've ever done except for a chocolate mediation one time. That's when you put a small piece of chocolate in your mouth and focus on the sensations it causes. I want to be more mindful of the flavours, textures, and colours that are on the plate as a way of giving thanks to God for what the world brings to my grocery store.
  Then I got thinking about my mental health journey, how for so many years, I was utterly disconnected from my emotions. Numbing was done to simply survive. This disconnect was the birthplace of the depression that began when I was a child. I've done the same thing with my body. It's been the thing that carries my brain around. (Smile.)
  You see, when the lessons were learned that my body was the complete opposite of beautiful, I hated it. I ignored its wants, its needs, its warning signs. Part of my mental health journey has been overcoming many of these lies once adopted as truth. I guess God is ready for me to make the next steps.
  Heck, I am ready!
  I've done much repenting this morning but, true to the grace of God, there is no shame in the choices that have been made. There is only a turning towards a better way: God's way towards wholeness in body, mind and spirit through Jesus Christ, guided by being part of a program.
  That's not to say I don't want chocolate. Sugar withdrawal is a real thing. But through a God who strengthens each of us, I can take a sip of water and move on in the hope that these cravings will eventually stop. If that's a goal, then it's as good a place as any to start!
  In time, I can allow myself desert but only when I know I can control my appetite for them. Hmmm...another goal. 
  So is turning towards a better way. Three goals in one post! I just like knowing the success is already happening!
  Praise God. Amen.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...