Monday 23 September 2019

The Joy of Letting Go


  “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear.” Mathew 6:25

  There have been a couple of amazing things happen. Earlier this week, I started a drawing. I was really stressing about everything that was going on with the house, money, making decisions, and my health/weight.
  The old hymn, “His Eye is on the Sparrow” as well as the passage in Mathew mentioned in my last post inspired me. Or maybe the drawing had already been started and it inspired the post. Either way it doesn't matter.
  Front and centre an image of a sparrow with a cross behind it dominates the page. Around these, I started placing images representative of my worries. Only three quarters of the background got finished because by the time I’d drawn every worry that came to mind, visually placing them in God’s hands, the worry had vanished.
  Here’s the amazing part. Yesterday’s sermon was on this section of Mathew.  It was a wonderful addition to what had happened during the creative process. I will share the image once it’s completed. There is still some pen work to do on it.
  It is also deeply humbling and reassuring when God affirms the direction I have gone or am going in. (Smile.) Every time it solidifies a trust in the ability to discern and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. And that alone is the greatest worry eraser.
  The other thing that has come out of my time here at my friend’s is my inclination towards poverty thinking. Many times I have held up a lack of finances as an objection to doing what I need to do. This type of thinking has prevented me from eating better by denying the ability to purchase meat and fresh vegetables.
  Yesterday we went grocery shopping. It has made me realize I don’t need to be concerned about money. I need to learn how to shop better, wiser, so those dollars go further. As an added bonus and something to keep in mind, going to the bargain grocery store later in the day is a smart move. There were many packages of meat and fresh vegetables whose price had been reduced because it had to be sold by day’s end or it would be thrown out. We came out of there with more than enough to feed the both of us for the next couple of weeks for an amazingly little amount of money.
  Yup, God and sparrows. (Smile.) If I can trust the leading of the Lord when it comes to art, maybe it’s time I allowed that trust to flood every aspect of my life. 
  At least, I will try. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...