Monday 31 December 2018

I Have a Gift to Bring Pa-rum-pa-pa-pum


  “But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. There is no law against these things!” Galatians 5:22-23

  Not sure if this has been already shared but it bears repeating. There has been one more figure added to the knitted Nativity scene. Inspired by a painting of the same, I couldn’t help but emulate it. The painting has Santa Claus kneeling before the manger. It is a simple yet beautiful image that makes a profound statement about the meaning of Christmas. I’ve got my Santa in the company of the wise men.
  Did you know that nowhere in Scripture does it say how many wise men there were? I suppose because the Bible tells of their three gifts (gold, frankincense and myrrh) the wise men have typically been represented as a trio throughout the ages.
  No mention is ever made about what Mary and Joseph did with these gifts. I don’t think Jesus had a trust fund. (Smile.) Actually, He did, only it was in His Father He placed His trust. Talk about an account with an eternal balance!

  Perhaps this part of the Christmas story is an encouragement for us to give the best we can to Jesus. While all I have to offer Him falls far short of the monetary value of the wise men’s gifts, what I am able to give is priceless.
  If I were a wise man…woman in this case…what would I bring to the humble stable to give to Jesus?
  The gift of believing Jesus is Lord.
   Loving Him with the love He displayed on the Cross given back a thousand fold.
  The joy of always knowing I am with Him.
  The peace He has brought in times of trial and darkness.
  The gift of patience, of waiting to see what has yet to unfold.
  Kindness.
  I would give Jesus the gift of trying to be good and to do good because He is better than good and has shown me the way.
  Faithfulness: the surrender of everything that keeps me apart from Him.
  Gentleness and self control which basically means laying my agenda down.
  Perhaps the greatest gift of all is time.
  Taking the time to know Him better.
  Making the time to talk with Him about everything that gets in the way of living through the generous gifts of the Holy Spirit.
  Finding time to meet with others of like minds to learn and grow together.
  Breaking away from routine to explore the life of Jesus and all He represents. Yes, represents, not represented. There is no past tense with Jesus.
  As our mortal clock ticks away the few remaining hours of 2018, I hold out much hope for the New Year. It is going to be amazing!
  God bless us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...