Sunday 3 September 2017

Back in the Saddle by Susan L.

  I am not going to do an affirmation today instead, there's a need to sit back, take stock and have a chat. It's been a hectic, crazy busy, very emotional time over the last several weeks. It was wonderful to finally get to church this morning although, as expected, the moment worship began, the stuffed down tears began to flow. I've been running in "git-er-done" mode and there hasn't been any space or time to allow any grieving to take place.
  A friend came over yesterday and helped me load the car with boxes of household items to be donated. And there were Boxes. Not just from the last load to come out of my uncle's house but from other car loads I'd brought home while helping him clear things out. Just having an extra set of hands to pass boxes to made such a difference. It eliminated running up and down stairs. It wasn't as tiring for an already tired ole body.
  I donated all of it to a local charity store. Not having stacked boxes in the basement has taken a weight off my shoulders. It has also filled me with more incentive to do my own purging when there's time.
  There was one item that absolutely had to go. It was a small, storage bench my uncle had made that had graced their front porch for as long as I can remember. The moment I had tied it to the roof rack of my car, it hit me hard. My uncle wasn't coming home.
  That was why my last long post was cut off so abruptly. A hospice had called wanting to do an assessment. They had a bed available. It was really just a formality because they had spoken to my uncle's family doctor who said he urgently needed the care they could provide. They will do everything in their power to keep him comfortable.
  He was moved in the next day.
  In yesterday's car loading, I forgot that the bench was in the shed before all the boxes were put into my car. Rather than unpack everything, my friend suggested putting it out at the end of the driveway. Just as I was heading out to the charity store, a woman with a pick-up truck was placing it in the back.
  "It's perfect!" she exclaimed with delight, "I've two small children. It will make a perfect toy box!"
  I am glad it's gone to a good home. I am glad that the handmade bench may become someone else's heirloom.
  I've been home a few days but with the laptop on the fritz, I haven't been able to write except for the brief cell phone post. I took the laptop with me today to where I bought it. I was fully anticipating having to replace it. It turned on no problem. (Like the funny noise a car makes until it is at the garage!) They ran a couple of diagnostics but couldn't find anything wrong. They call it chip creak. I called it being up chip creek.
  Apparently, sometimes something gets shaken up then gets shaken back into place which accounted for the lack of life every time I tried to turn the silly thing on.
  Relieved, and happy they didn't try to sell me anything or even charge me for the diagnostics that took enough time to have a coffee and a gooey, sticky, hot cinnamon bun treat. Y2KComputors has earned all my future business. They are at the 400 Flea Market if you live locally.
  I did get a new cell phone on Friday, taking advantage of the back-to-school sales. It too, at four years old was showing signs of leaving this earth. The fellow who helped me went the extra mile to make sure all my contact info, photos, etc. were transferred to the new one. That's a big help!
  I can't tell you how nice it was last Thursday to mow the lawn. It was a massive dose of normalcy amidst all the upheaval and time away from home. I kept having to stop for wood frogs (one was a butterscotch colour!) and toads in all sizes who had been happily living in the long, lush grass. With all the rain this summer, it's extra thick and moist. Only one didn't get out of the way fast enough and I hadn't seen it. That made me rather sad but all the more vigilant and patient.
  Even sitting here, mid-afternoon, typing away is helping restore some balance. If I have another good sleep tonight like the one that started at 9:30 last night, I should be back to normal in no time.
  I have to give thanks for family, friends, strangers and businesses with integrity. I have to give thanks that even though I lost sight of the Lord during these frantic days, He never lost sight of me.
  "What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take up the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord." Ps 116:12-13 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...