Friday 20 April 2018

I am Saved. Ephesians 2:8

  "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." NKJV
  "God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God." JCB

  Saved...one of the most beautiful words in the universe. It is to have someone pull you back onto the sidewalk as a car speeds by, oblivious to pedestrians. It is the monumental efforts of firefighters, EMS paramedics, doctors and nurses who work hard to keep a heart beating. It is to be on the verge of drowning and having a strong hand grab you and pull you to the surface...to breathe the clear air so necessary for our life. I guess a fish would be relieved when we take it off the hook and return it to its watery home!

  Funny, that. All my examples have the dynamics of someone else playing a key role. In reflecting on all the stories I've ever come across, it seems that the person who says, "Save yourself!", or abandons the helpful and protecting company of others, is the one who ends up being written out of the story in some form or another. Usually they end up dead.
  Pride plays a big part. Disobedience and rebellion also factor in. By the time the obnoxious, imaginary character has reached the end of their role, I usually have developed a strong dislike for them and am relieved they've been written out of the story. There's no hope of redemption for them!
  Dare I admit I end up feeling vindicated and righteous because of how their selfish and arrogant choices have been paid back in full? And then some. The silly fool, that character, if only they had cooperated or humbled themselves, they'd still be alive!
  How very human of me! And judgemental.
  Which has me wondering, if all this is how imaginary tales leaves me feeling, how much of these dark emotions and judgements spill over into real life?
  That's a humbling thought.
  Which is why I am so incredibly thankful to have the Great Redeemer in my life to pull me out of the dark waters.
  Lord, I lift up the times when grace falls by the wayside. Teach me to better share the gifts of community, companionship and encouragement with others. Let me live through the example of my dependence on You in all things. Help me view others as You see them because You were sent to save us all. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!

  I will be going offline until Tuesday. I wish my readers a wonderful and blessed weekend.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...