Wednesday 18 October 2017

Affirmation #136 by Susan L.

  I am the image of God. Genesis 1:27

  "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." NKJV
  "So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." JCB

  In Exodus 3:14, God tells Moses who He is.
  "I AM WHO I AM. And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you."
  I've pondered over this particular verse many times as I try to understand God's nature. Because I live in a physically divided state, being a woman apart from man, it's stretched my imagination to think of God as being both male and female.
  I've heard previous teachings that speak of the Mother Heart of God but I think it's deeper than His heart. There is no division of gender in any aspect of His being. He is the "I AM." It's humans that assign gender specific traits to His character.
  (Now there's something to Triple T! Why are traits limited by being gender specific?)
  Sunday's teaching was on this very subject so I am going to quote the notes, "Jesus came to show us that the God of power and judgement (thought of as male) is also the God who lays down his life to serve, sustain, embrace and nurture (thought of as female)."
  Jesus first miracle of turning water into wine has leapt into my mind. Was wedding preparation the domain of women back then like it is now? His mother was the one who pointed out the insufficient liquor supply. If so, Jesus providing wine was a very womanly act of service!
   I have to give thanks that I am a creator (small c) who is willing to set aside cultural and social gender limitations in much that I do.
  If God is the I AM, I am the "i am", God's child made in His image.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Pondering the nature of God is a fascinating pass-time! But ultimately, He is shrouded in mystery. When He says “I Am Who Am”, He is not naming Himself, as if He were a person or being, He is declaring that He is Being itself. That is a hard concept to wrap one’s head around. He is un-created. How can something exist that wasn’t made? He is Spirit. Yet so are the angels, and those who have passed beyond this life. Very complex.

    When we are described in Genesis as being made in the image and likeness of God, it not only includes all the characteristics we think of in terms of masculine and feminine, but it means we are spirit too. The animals were made male and female, but only people have spirit like God does. Our spirits are eternal - also like God. It is because of our spirits that we can commune with God: spirit to Spirit. Our spiritual component means we have something in common with angels. Our bodies will die, and the Bible tells us that when that happens we will be like the angels, neither male nor female.

    Much to ponder!

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...