Tuesday 3 June 2014

Summer by Susan L.

  Yesterday summer thundered in, literally. This morning is already hot and humid with glowering clouds racing overhead. There will probably be more thunderstorms today. Good because we desperately need the rain. It's been a dry spring.
  Window closing season is upon us. I never used to shut the house up in the morning to keep the heat at bay but started doing that here a few years ago. It helps offset the fact I have no air conditioning. Not that I want it, a couple of fans suit me just fine. It only takes a few nights to get used to the hum.
  I like the windows open at night. The lilacs are in bloom and it's a lovely perfume to have wafting through the house.
  I'm not complaining, far from it after the long, cold winter we just had. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that barely a month ago there was still snow piled on one side of my driveway. You'd think after nearly forty years in Ontario, I'd be used to this but each summer seems to surprise me.
  H and I are going camping in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it. Hopefully by then the mosquitoes will have lessened a bit. They are pretty bad this year. There's a part of my garden that I haven't weeded because of the thirsty little monsters. Getting my mail is an adventure in swatting because there are so many. Mowing the lawn means a bath in bug repellent.
  I love the fact we have four distinct seasons. Each one comes with its own challenges and its own blessings. It's hard to decide on a favorite. The glorious colours of autumn versus the explosion of spring green. Winter blizzards while safely tucked inside versus the long days of summer. In a way, they are all favorites.
  "When I consider Your heavens, the work of your fingers, the Moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him?" Ps 8:3-4
 

2 comments:

  1. Fall is my favorite. It is usually sunny without being hot. There are few bugs. The air gets a bit crisper in the evening, somehow fresher. The stages of leaf color with the race to the ground - only to be crunched underfoot. Sweaters come out - those great equalizers (verses the bathing suit). The geese honk furiously overhead on their practice runs. The days are shorter somehow less demanding. School starts and new beginnings, new shoes, and new books create a buzz. Ahhhh the possibilities. Yes, I love fall the best. Each season has its merits - but fall speaks to me the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, what a lovely picture you painted with words.
      Susan

      Delete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...