Sunday 8 June 2014

God's Shadow by Susan L.

  My Anonymous commenter made a valid point about being under the wings and shadow of the Almighty. If we stray too far, the sun will fry us.
  There were chickens on the farm. A hen would cluck and snuggle her babies beneath her if it was too cold, too hot, raining...any time the elements had the potential to harm her little ones. She'd sit there all puffed up with sometimes as many as ten fluffy chicks hidden beneath her. She always seemed to know exactly when they needed to tuck into her.
  For me, turning to the art or doing my blog is my way of snuggling in. They are opportunities of connection to God's Spirit, of knowing He's standing right beside me with His hand on my shoulder. If I miss a post, my day somehow doesn't feel "right". When there is no art therapy group, I hunger for the opportunity of a safe place to spend time in visual prayer.
  Yes, I often do this by myself but having others nearby who lovingly point out the positives makes it easier to see God's truth. Sometimes the emotions make me unable to see beyond the expression of pain. And yes, I also do many gratitude pieces celebrating God's presence in my life.
  In a way, depression and anxiety are gifts. Just getting through the day and accomplishing anything that needs doing is far beyond my own ability. I know this. I don't like feeling unsettled or heavy hearted but it is what it is. The faith God has blessed me with knows beyond the conscious, the logical, to trust in His mystery, His ability to heal, His plan for my life and His love.
  I've heard many Christians talk about the desert days when they couldn't feel God's presence. Having spent forty years in the wilderness before I knew Him on an intimate and personal level, this thought terrifies me. I know the hopeless existence apart from the Holy Spirit. My constant prayer is that the Lord will never put me through a time of spiritual famine.
  Yes, I may wander a bit but never very far before I go racing back to the safest place I know. Like a young chick exploring its world, I am quick to seek the reassuring presence of my Lord: the place where it's just Him and I.
  "Sing, O heavens! Be joyful, O earth! And break out in singing O mountains! For the Lord has comforted His people and will have mercy on His afflicted." Is 49:13
 

1 comment:

  1. I echo your thoughts about our weaknesses being "gifts" - for without them, how far we might be from the Lord? I no longer have the strength without Him. Like Paul, how I prayed for restoration, but like Paul, it didn't happen (yet). Yet, my worship is sweeter, my studies deeper, my prayer life healthier - and I am a more "real" person. No longer performing - too busy surviving. If it brings God the glory - it indeed is a gift. Maybe not visible to others, but treasured in my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...