Monday 27 February 2023

The Art of Prayer, Part 8

   "For through him (Jesus) God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can't see--such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world. Everything was created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16

  

  As worship music filled the hall at the beginning of yesterday's church service, this image erupted into my thoughts. I had no idea what it meant but there was a pressure, an urging, to do a drawing. The handout sheet was the only blank piece of paper I had. A ball point pen was the only tool. 
  As the teaching part of the service rolled on, the image began to evolve. Our interim pastor wrapped up the day with this...
  "Power under the posture of servanthood."
  That's when I knew what this image was all about. And I absolutely had to do a painting.
  God's light fills the Holy Spirit, represented by the wings. The Spirit pours down life into our upstretched arms. As we worship, the songs we sing or the art we make rises up to heaven. It's a letting go and a letting in. It's celebrating God's presence in our hearts. 
  It's circular...our energy up, the Spirit's energy infuses our hearts and minds. When we are filled, life flows within and flows outwards from us. 

  But here's the thing, God doesn't need us to be the "middleman." I have it on Good Authority (aka Jesus) that, more than anything, He wants us to be.
  Nevertheless, we have to want to fill the position. God will not force us to do anything.

  This painting of yesterday's sketch also illustrates the creative process when the creativity is given to God. God gives back. It's a wonderful, marvelous, holy, spiritual circle of life.

  When I first started learning how to use art as my voice, the thought of surrender was utterly terrifying. I thought it meant I had to give up myself and become some mindless God zombie who followed the rules. As a new Christian, I had some odd ideas about faith. Thankfully, I had a healthy dose of curiosity which overpowered my peculiar objections. 
  Watercolours were my key. I'd always hated them because they can be fickle and are more than happy to do their own thing regardless of what the artist wants to happen. Over time, I found myself following what the paint created as opposed to directing it. 
  Watercolours helped me learn to kneel.
  So did making a mess with finger paints but that was just having fun. Joy is part of worship, too.
  
  So, about this "kneeling" posture...Submission can be a scary thing but if we are willing... 
  (Smile.) Kneeling opened me up to learn that, no, I didn't have to become a God zombie to be His child. He helps me uncover my true identity, and frees me from being the person the world would have me believe I was.
  It's okay to be nervous. It's okay to not feel safe or vulnerable and unsure. It's okay to doubt your abilities or why you are even attempting something new. It's okay to worry about what will happen next. It's okay to be broken. (I'll let you in on a secret, all of us are.) It's okay if nothing happens right away. 
  Give it time. 
  Breathe.
  Be patient. 
  God will help you find your watercolours if you let him.
  Besides, there's this little thing called grace.

  Thank you, Lord, that you will honour our tentative attempts at surrender. Thank you that you will bless the moments, the minutes we spend practicing opening our hearts and minds to you. Thank you for filling us with truth and life. In Jesus' name, AMEN.

PS. I don't often do this, but I would like to offer you, dear readers, an opportunity. If you don't know Jesus, take a moment and ask him to be your Lord (your guide) and Savior (life saver). Breathe in the new life you have chosen.

  God bless you and be with you, for now and forever. AMEN.
  

  
  
  
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...