Monday 13 February 2023

The Art of Prayer, Part 1

 

  “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.” Genesis 1:1-2

 

  Our church is delving into the concept and practice of Solemn or Sacred Assembly. In a nutshell, it’s about taking the time as a community or individual to be still and listen for God’s voice. Wednesday, we are gathering as a body to take part in our own assembly before God. The Meeting House Oakville’s explanation is very, very good so I won’t try and duplicate four Sunday’s worth of teaching in this space. Feel free to go on their website and check out Restored.

  Yes, we have remained with the Meeting House in spite of what happened with Bruxy. Personally, I like the direction they are headed in, a direction grounded in humility, repentance and grace.

  I didn’t know this idea of coming before God had a name and as I watched the teaching, I realized it’s what I do with art. I felt a nudge that led me to approached one of our church leaders. I have offered to do a group about The Art of Prayer. She was very excited because there had been some discussion about maintaining Sacred Assembly as an ongoing practice in our church.

  In trying to explain to a friend what happens when I sit down before a blank piece of paper, art supplies at hand, I realized that the Lord had already made Sacred Assembly part of my faith life. It started the moment I became a Christian.

  Baby talk. Yup. God gave me images about faith that were decidedly corny…a candle in the darkness, a star in the sky, an open door of invitation. I got the point. But the point wasn’t about the image in and of itself, it was about learning to sit quietly and wait.

  It was about nurturing the inner creator with the tender guidance of the greatest Creator of all.

  That same creator spirit is in every one of us. The task before me is how to help others unlock it. I get a strong sense that the Art of Prayer group is going to last far longer than a single gathering.

 

  A little boy knelt before his bed, hands folded, eyes closed. “A, B, C, D…”

  His mother asked what he was doing.

  “Praying,” he replied, “but I don’t know the words. I am giving God the letters because He knows what I want to say.”

 

  In praying through art, I give my hands, the paper, the materials to God because He knows what I want to say even if I have no conscious idea. 

  Ironically, it’s not about the art at all. The group won’t be about teaching others how to draw or paint. It’s about liberation and letting go of control.

  The other huge stumbling block is art in and of itself. I think back through church history when artists were arrested or killed for creating anything that did not focus on God or stories from the Bible. The church had a firm chokehold on anything that might deviate from their agenda. When I realize how much of a personal connection I have with Jesus because of the art, it makes sense those in power would see this as a threat way back when. If I had a personal connection, I wouldn’t need to pay a priest to intercede for me.

  The church eventually loosened their grip but the foundation was laid. Society picked up the hammer for them. Studies have shown that artistic expression is one of the first things children lose in school. By the age of 7, the marking system, scales of ability based on age, and criticism have crushed the creator spirit.

  It’s a good thing they can never, ever crush the Creator’s Spirit!

  The Art of Prayer is not just for those of us who are experienced artists. Stick figures speak a universal language, don’t they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...