Monday 21 February 2022

O, Canada, I Stand on Guard for Thee

 

  I have often started my writing with Scripture. Today, I start with prayer for insight, grace, and wisdom. For today is a dark day in Canadian history.

  Today my great country is divided. Brother against brother. Mother against child. Friend against friend.

  There have been protests throughout this nation. There have been borders closed, communities shut down. These have been resolved. The government is trying to enact the Federal Emergencies Act. This gives them far reaching authority, the most contentious being the ability to seize the assets of anyone who funded these illegal protests.

  The Act can only be put in place when all other legal options do not exist. By its very definition of these protests being illegal, there has to be laws already in place that do not require such drastic measures such as these being taken. I say again, these situations have ended. Now, the reason being put forward for invoking the Act is that maybe, just maybe, someone else might protest in the future.

  Three weeks ago, I watched the coverage of the Trucker’s Convoy heading to Ottawa, our capitol, to protest the vaccine mandates being put in place despite, throughout the world, such mandates are being lifted. Bridges were lined with people, waving flags, cheering their support. Communities gathered to cheer them on. Rural sideroads had groups waving flags and cheering. I never felt more proud to be a Canadian than in that moment.

  It quickly became global.

  Today, these same Canadians have been branded by the leader of this county as white supremacists, racists and misogynists regardless of the fact that many nationalities took part.  It is Canada after all, a multi-cultural smorgasbord. They are being described as wanting to destroy democracy, to overthrow the government.

  I am not saying there were no extremist views uttered or that I agree with encouraging violence. I do not deny that people piggy-backed their often unsavory agendas with the truckers protests. I do not say I agree with how the borders were shut down or that the city of Ottawa was shut down.

  But I am a Christian first and honestly, have never been much of a person for politics. To find myself glued to the TV broadcast of parliamentary debate as fervently as I watched the unfolding of the events of 9-11 has done one thing. It has awoken in my heart a deep felt grief.

  I never thought I would live in a democratic country that is trying to curtail our human rights, rights that are supposed to govern all the laws in this nation. I never thought I would live in a place where the least hint of questioning how things are being done is silenced. I never thought I would live in a country where the freedom to choose is not a freedom at all unless you make the same choice as everyone else. I never thought I would hear of a woman whose bank account was frozen because she bought a T-shirt. I never thought I would be afraid that a FB post stating an opinion might land me in deep, deep trouble.

  This is Canada after all.

  Dear Lord, in Your infinite wisdom, You have ordained those in our government. I have worked hard to not disrespect my leaders. I hope it’s okay if I question what’s happening.

Your Kingdom come, Your will be done. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...