Monday 27 January 2020

She Who Leads Must Follow


    “Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ.” Ephesians 4:11-12

  There is much to think about these days as I explore the various facets of leadership and the church I belong to. I took time to write out all the questions posed by the training videos I was required to watch as part of the requirements for leadership at the Meeting House. They were fantastic!
  In one of the videos, Bruxy shared an anecdote about when he was interviewed by the Meeting House for his position as teaching pastor. He was asked about his vision for the church and his thoughts on growing the numbers. His response was that he had no plan to expand the population but what he wanted to foster was a healthy church.
  He then went on to describe his vision of a healthy church.
  He’s good. He made me want to be part of it!
  Smile. I guess I am!
  Healthy is not a synonym for perfection! It is, however, a representation of the journey towards perfection, that example of perfection always being Jesus.
  I want to add that being part of this mission towards a healthy church does not come with any sort of condemnation towards my brothers and sisters who attend other churches, whose faith practices are different than my own. That’s part of being healthy…not judging. In fact, it’s being open to learning from them, too!
  (Smile.) I have to confess that this happens most of the time but sometimes it doesn’t. It takes practice.

  After finishing my post the other day, I wrote out a question of my own…”What is it about Jesus that makes him the ideal expression of love?”
  On the heels of typing this out this morning, another question arose, “Why do I want to become like him?”
  My first answer right off the top of my head is because there are things I want purged from my life. Things like hate, suspicion, and fear…oh…and yes, judgement! More importantly, I want to be like Him because I have experienced his peace, joy, grace, forgiveness, patience, compassion, and love on this journey along the Black River. I want to be in a position to give this to others.
  That’s a cool thing as well. I may not have arrived at my destination, but, through Jesus, I have been able to share these wonderful expressions of love with others along the way. And this is not just because of what I do, where I work, or my role in the church, it is because it is who God made me to be.
  And that, I feel, is the greatest attribute of leadership…being completely unaware that I am leading at all! I only need to be true to myself yet open to correction and guidance then let God do the rest. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...