Tuesday 21 January 2020

Homework


  “All who declare that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God.” 1 John 4:15

  This is one of two passages we were encouraged to meditate upon over the course of this week, specifically the love of God revealed through Jesus. Part of this homework is to read our Bible, engage with Jesus-centred people, read books and watch podcasts. It’s also important to ask lots of questions. I’d like to add the importance of having worship music filling the house when the other tasks of life require attention. (It turns dusting into a dance!)
  These aren’t religious rules but if I view these tasks through the lens of love, I realize God made sure His Word was made available to us so that every individual could come to an understanding of Jesus. Reading it is an expression of my own love and gratitude for being given such a gift. I can be grateful God has provided the means to own not just one but several translations of the Bible. Then there’s the internet…a wealth of opportunity to plug in questions and find answers although, they need to be tested. If Jesus isn’t at the centre of the answers, if the response is void of love, chances are the information online isn’t totally right.
  But I don’t have to figure this out all on my own because God blesses each of us with the Holy Spirit, the indwelling heart, to guide us and help us discern truth.

  If God is love, the foundation of all I do and say needs to pass through God’s heart.  (Thank You, Lord, for this beautiful image.)This is trans-formative!! God’s heart can take our hurts, our anger, our grief and redeem them. Then they become a testimony of healing, grace and peace. Our own ability to love expands a thousand fold.
  No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

  Ok. Now I understand where the expression, “God never gives us more than we can handle” comes from. Bitter experience has shown me this isn’t necessarily true but I can share that there has always been an escape route laid out before me even if I couldn’t see it at the time. Hindsight has enabled me to see exactly who played a part, where they were, when it happened and how this escape route was put before me.
 

  It’s good to be back writing. Starting the day sipping a coffee and being filled with an influx of gratitude and joy for all God has done, and discovering more about who He is, fills me with a hunger to do more and learn more for Him.
  But before I can do more, I have to become more. Sometimes the becoming just sort of happens when I step out in faith and obedience to God's calling. But that is another post. Smile.Glory be to God! AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...