Sunday 13 October 2019

Being Grown Up


  “Then he (Jesus) said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.” Luke 9:23

  A lot was accomplished over at the house. The drywall joints have been taped in the addition, the old walls got a skim coat of plaster to smooth out the orange peel texture that’s caused by multiple coats of paint. It’s easier than trying to sand them smooth. This needed to be done so they would match the new, smooth drywall. I started installing the supports for the shelves in the pantry and did a bit of sanding where needed.
  Much can be accomplished in eight hours.
  By the time supper rolled around, I was very hungry. My friend laid out a spread fit for a queen:  oven roasted peameal bacon glazed with maple syrup and mustard. It was served with fresh, garden tomatoes, roasted potatoes and carrots. The first mouthful of potato with a dollop of sour cream was heavenly! I closed my eyes for a moment to savour the earthiness of the potato, the herbs they had been dressed with and the tang of the sour cream.
  It was an “ah-ha!” moment.
  I looked at my friend and said, “When you eat to fill the soul, food has no flavour…” I paused to think about this for a moment then added, “When you are very hungry, boy, it sure is good!”
  Lord I confess that I have used food to fill a spiritual need. Thank You for giving me the power to overcome compulsive eating habits.

  The Lord is doing a work in my heart around those eating habits. It’s time to stop making excuses as to why they were so bad and be grown up about this. (Forgive me Lord for dodging responsibility.) The new kitchen will enable me to be successful in continuing to eat properly like I have been doing here. Eating properly balanced meals with protein has kicked the peanut butter cravings to the curb.
  Mostly, I have been processing the idea of poverty thinking and how it permeated my attitudes about food. Even to the point I was reluctant to use the stove during the prime time billing hours. (Hydro costs more from 9-7 daily except on weekends.)
  And this heart thing is a wakeup call. Things won’t change unless I change them.
  You know something? Being twenty-seven pounds lighter makes a huge difference in my energy level. Thank You, Lord, it really didn’t require any sort of sacrifice on my part, just eating better has made a difference. A big one I might add. Thank You that chocolate cake is still on the menu! AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...