Wednesday 31 May 2017

I am Cleansed 1 John 1:7,9 by Susan L.

  Verses five to nine in 1 John are a clear depiction our calling as followers of Jesus.
  "Giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness, love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
  I read this verse backwards because it struck me that it is an Alpha and Omega moment. Beginning is the end, the end begins. Reading forwards and backwards is like unravelling the warp and weft in the fabric of our Christian calling.
  By knowing Jesus and embracing Him as Lord, my foundation is in the love of Jesus Christ. Brotherly kindness follows because I cannot do otherwise. Brotherly kindness is godliness because I have been called to love others just as God loves me. (There is room for growth here.)
  Godliness, the love of God and for God, grants the ability to persevere. Perseverance enables self-control. Self-control is the open door to knowledge because I've allowed God to guide my life, to show me, to grow me into the knowledge of Him. (One step at a time, sweet Jesus.)
  Knowledge, knowing His heart, means living a life of virtue is blessed with all the help I need to make it so. All because of faith.
  Faith is love.
  What does it meant to live a virtuous, or love filled life anyways?
  I have to thank my Catholic brothers and sisters for the following on-line list of how living virtuously can eradicate sin in our lives. (changingminds.org) I used my own verbs.
  1. Humility wipes away pride. 2. Kindness squashes envy. 3. Abstinence subjugates gluttony. 4. Chastity (I'd like to add chivalry to this) diffuses the power of lust. 5. Patience usurps anger. 6. Liberality shatters greed. 7. Diligence protects against sloth.
  I am so thankful God is a God of grace. Forgive me, Lord, for my sinful ways.
  Even so, there has been much growth and many changes as the wages of sin are slowly being cleansed from my life. It's an ongoing process because sin has some slippery tentacles. I give thanks that God is in my life so, one day, sin will be utterly eradicated. More than anything, this is my heart's desire because once that happens, I will be the woman God called me to be.
  Hmmm, you know something? Right now, this very moment, I am who He asks me to be!
  "Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord." 1 Pet 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...