Tuesday 25 April 2017

Bells by Susan L.

  "I am betrothed." Hosea 2:19-20

  And I am stuck with no idea where to start.
  Maybe by breaking down the word, "betrothed" I'll get somewhere. It means to be promised to and held to that promise for a year. In Jesus' day, it meant the bride price was paid to her parents.

  I can't seem to get the songs from the musical, "Fiddler on the Roof" out of my head. It's about a Russian Jewish family with four daughters in the early 1900's. The father struggles to ignore age old Traditions in order for his daughters to be happily married to their loves. He was even forced to break an agreement with the local butcher for the hand of his eldest daughter (set up by a matchmaker). The butcher was older than him! It's full of tender, poignant sweetness; both funny and heart wrenching at the same time.
  He was a father who loved his daughters and was willing to do anything for them. Including breaking the rules.

  If an earthly father can care so much, how much more does our heavenly Father care for us?
  God's Word says it all.

  ""Therefore, behold, I will allure her, will bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfort to her. I will give her her vineyards from there, and the valley of Achor as a door of hope; She shall sing there, as in the days of her youth, as in the day when she came up from the land of Egypt. And it shall be, in that day," says the Lord, "That you will call Me 'My Husband' and no longer call me 'My Master.'" Hosea 2:14-16

  I researched the valley of Achor. It was a reference to terrible trials that had happened in the past. It seems to me that it is also foreshadowing Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

  My heart and head feel like they are about to explode. I need to think on this a while longer. For the first time in my walk of faith, I think I can embrace the idea of having a Bridegroom watching over me and waiting for the day we meet face to face. Amen!

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...