Friday 22 November 2013

Revisiting Evolution by Susan L.

  No, this isn't a Darwinian debate. I had a one-on-one with the art therapist who comes to the centre. She had kept a photographic record of the art I produced in session. Her photos went back three years.
  First of all it's hard to believe how much time has passed. A lot of it is a blur. Cycles of struggling. Cycles of feeling better. Recovery is not a straight line journey.
  The final piece was initially an exploration of Native culture. It contained a drawn feather with the silhouettes of a howling wolf and of a bear. I had drawn the feather as a quill penning a big question mark.
  Seeing this picture with fresh eyes last night I realized it was strangely prophetic.
  My first column for the Alliston Herald was accepted with no changes: the quill. The howling wolf: a lone voice seeking to change the perceptions of mental health. The bear represented passion and determination. I guess it was a mama bear.
  Writing about it this morning has given me closure. I feel the page turning in Heaven as once again I surrender my future to God.
  "I was brought low, and He saved me. Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you." Ps 116:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...