Thursday 21 June 2018

I am washed. Titus 3:5

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit." NKJV
  When God our  Savior revealed his kindness and love (v.4) "He saved us, not because of the righteous things we have done, but because of His mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit." JCB

 This is a small book in the Bible. Not being overly familiar with it, I flipped to the writing that summarizes what it is about. The author, Brian Zahnd, closes with this, "In Christianity we're not escaping the genuine struggles of life--instead we persevere in our struggles with the presence of Jesus to sustain us."
  I am not sure how this fits with today's affirmation but felt led to share.

  I think one of the hardest concepts of Christianity to fully embrace is the idea that we are cleansed of our sins. There is no atonement, no Bible verses to write out a hundred times, nothing is required to "make up" for our wayward ways. Except, perhaps, that we recognize them in the first place, lift them to Jesus and know we are forgiven.
  This idea is so foreign, so alien, I find it hard to wrap my head around. There is no punishment that could ever fit the crime. I'm not talking about breaking the law...
  Boy, this is a tough place to examine. To think of the countless ways in a day I veer away from the teachings of Jesus. It could be an uncharitable thought, a careless word, even beating myself up for doing either of these is wandering away from the love and heart of God. It's both minimalizing and disregarding the gift of the Cross and what Jesus did for humanity.
  But, here's the thing, I truly want to be better than I am...whoa, hold on a minute...if I believe everything I've written and everything the Bible says then I am acceptable before God just as I am. That's now, in this very moment.
  It doesn't mean I am sinless. It doesn't mean I can ignore where sin affects various areas of my life. It means that I am not to condemn myself when I fail.
  Repent? Absolutely. As often as it takes.
  Learn? Every day!
  Start over? Yup. That's the joy in living in and through the grace of God. Every day is an opportunity to start afresh, bathed in the forgiveness freely granted because Jesus paid the price.
  Lord, this past year has been an amazing journey. Thank You for revealing more of Yourself to me. I am looking forward to see what the last thirteen affirmations will reveal. Open my heart, mind and spirit to fully embrace a resurrection life. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...