Monday 28 July 2014

Successful Build by Susan L.

  We fed the mosquitoes on Saturday and roasted on Sunday but my son and I achieved a lot. The shed walls were framed, raised and secured together. The rafters were installed. That took a bit longer because we had to figure out angles, confirm lengths, and work out where to put the notches so the rafters would sit squarely on the top of the walls. Something neither of us had done before. So glad for Youtube and the Home Hardware video that taught me how to do this.
  Putting the plywood on the roof was the only near miss for injury. The first sheet slid off before we had nailed it down nearly knocking us on the head. Other than sore muscles and a couple of blisters from the hammer, a bit of sawdust in an eye, neither of us had any injuries. Not even a sliver.
  I am thankful that whoever poured the cement slab back in 2004 really knew what they were doing. It was still absolutely level and perfectly squared. It made our job that much easier. The only problem is it is extremely hard so I need to lay my hands on a hammer drill to be able to anchor the shed to it.
  I am pleased that my careful plans were perfect as far as ordering the right amount of materials. We had exactly the three extra 2 x 4s I ordered left over. They ended up being the ones that were too warped or twisted to use in the build. (The reason I ordered a bit extra.) We only needed two extra trips to the hardware store. Once to get shorter cement screws hoping we could drill just deep enough into the slab to take them. The other trip was to return six pieces of wood which I need to finish the window frames. The fellows who chose them for the delivery had given me some pretty sad specimens. I was also short in the number of joist hangers I'd bought simply because we rethought some of my calculations and wanted to make the roof stronger.
  It's nice having a hardware store five minutes away.
  I've decided to finish the shed in board and batten. I had hoped to match the wide aluminum siding on my house but it is far more expensive than a simple shed warrants. My initial thought of painting the shed harvest gold like the house has also gone by the wayside. I've decided to paint it a soft mossy green so it will blend into the yard. But that's a ways away yet.
  There's the siding, the shingles and the door and windows to install. That'll take some time.
  I am so thankful that the weekend's forecasted thunderstorms didn't show up until late Sunday night. I am incredibly thankful for having the skills, the knowledge and the tools to take on this project. But most of all I am thankful for the best part: it was a whole lotta fun!
  "And they shall rebuild the old ruins, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the ruined cities." Is 61:4
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...