Thursday 2 May 2024

Boundary Study Part 5

   "The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human race; He looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God." Psalm 14:2

  I do have boundaries but they haven't been something I've thought about or planned or put in place. The boundaries are set by my behaviour and choices. They are enforced by my behaviour. 
  For example, hugging. For me, a hug is giving permission for someone to enter my personal space. It's important for me to get to know the person first before allowing such a thing to happen. I need to know if they are worthy of this expression of trust. This is especially true when it's a man I am meeting for the first or second time. This is totally understandable.
  More often than not, a handshake is my go to in order to avoid close contact with someone I don't know very well. In a way, an extended hand is like opening a door to let someone in. Or not. The door can always be closed as long as there is enough space; as long as someone doesn't try and force their way in.
  For people who have been violated, this is an important lesson. We all have the right to choose who we allow into our personal space, who we allow to touch us.
 I am most thankful my children are teaching their children they don't have to hug anyone they don't want to, even NanaSue. It's an important lesson in safety, in self-advocacy. It also teaches them no one has the right to violate their personal space if they don't want them to. Their body is their own and no one else's.
  
  The God I adore has never, ever forced Himself or His ways upon me. He has always patiently waited for an invitation. In the beginning, I invited Him to be the Lord of my life. As time progressed, I invited Him to help me explore the dark, deep secrets so I might find healing. No one else knows me better. 
  He has also invited me into His space. The quiet command of, "Come," is one I am hard pressed to ignore. I feel it when the urge to draw or write presses itself into my soul. At times, I go with great trepidation because I have no idea where He will take me.
  There's boundaries around this, too. The ones that define the sacred space of my kitchen table, the edges of a page or screen, the grace filled acceptance if I need to stop for the day.
  
  Smile...it's interesting that I am able to put such boundaries in place with God but struggle with people. But then again, maybe that's today's lesson on boundaries...if I am allowed to do this with Him, it is more than okay to do this in relationships with people.
  Lord, I am going to end today's post with a question. Why is this so hard?
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Memory

   "Let all that I am praise the Lord." Psalm 104:35   We all have memories that are seared on our consciousness; the kind that a ...