Sunday 11 February 2018

Home Again

  I'll start back into the affirmations tomorrow.
   I had a wonderful time away for a much needed break of sand, surf and seashells. Every morning saw a long, lazy walk along the shore hunting for treasures. Only two of the mornings were chilly enough to need a jacket or long sleeved shirt. They happened right at the beginning of my holiday. After that, it was unseasonably warm.
  Sanibel Island, on the Gulf Coast of Florida, is famous for its shelling opportunities. I even found a couple treasures that hadn't been found on previous trips. There was one I couldn't find in any of the on-line shell identification sites. A quest of miniature proportions lay before me because I want to know its name!
  While enjoying a cup of coffee in the lanai, the screened in patio, I would wash the salt and sand off my finds and simply gaze with wonder at these little beauties, these tiny samples of God's handiwork. I've questions, too.  How do some shells lay out their colours or structure with mathematical precision? How do they know? How can one species have infinite colour or pattern variations ranging from pale pink to dark gray with everything in between while other are decidedly uniform?
  Scientifically, it's genetics. Can evolution explain why this happens? From a faith perspective it reflects the incredible creativity of my Maker. I am in awe of how meticulous He was in the details.
  The last morning, I forwent looking for shells. Instead, I picked up a few bits of garbage as a token of appreciation and gratitude for the privilege of being there.
  I am going to miss these morning walks.
  They also helped offset the feasting and wonderful dining on other creatures from the sea. I even lost weight which makes it even better having the added Christmas pounds vanish.
  The island, linked to the mainland by a causeway, is a haven for birds as well. Egrets, cranes, osprey, pelicans and a variety of songbirds make this either their winter home or their permanent one. Tiny lizards make fantastical leaps to sun themselves on the chairs surrounding the pool. There used to be an alligator living in the pond behind where I was staying but I think the encroaching mangroves have made the water too shallow. Safe enough, now, for tiny fish, ducks and coots to spend the night without fear of being eaten!
  It was a thrill to see dolphins as they fed just off shore with the turning of the tides.
  When the tide was low, there are shallow places protected by sandbars. If the water was calm enough, it was easy to see teeny footprints marking the epic journeys of hermit crabs (no larger than a blueberry) in search of love or food or roomier accommodations. I witnessed one practically pouncing on an empty shell that, unfortunately, wasn't big enough to make relocation possible. Real estate must be at a premium just like on land!
  This picture of the lighthouse is one of my favorites. A morning mist shrouded the shore before the sun got high enough to burn it away. I passed by it every morning walk around the point of the island, comforted by the knowledge that I have a Beacon whose Light never fails.
  
    "You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I'm far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home." Psalm 139: 2-3 JCB
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...