Friday 31 March 2017

Day 8, I Am Adequate by Susan L.

  There was another point which came to mind moments after publishing yesterday's post about having access.
  I imagined Jesus standing, waiting, with a smile on His face, and a universe full of "admit one" tickets. There's one for every person present and for those yet to be born.
  Because this final bit of mental imagery came after clicking the "publish" button, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed in myself for having missed it while writing. Maybe that's why it came late! To give me a reason to examine what being adequate means.
  I feel this is also tied into my dread of setting a goal. Despite a fearful avoidance of the concept, they have a habit of cropping up anyways.
  Honestly, there was zero hesitation to begin a three hundred day commitment to exploring affirmations. That's a pretty big goal! I know I am more than adequate to do this because I've already got several years of blogging under my belt. There's room for grace because I've given myself permission to take a year to accomplish this task if needed.
  Adequacy is fully enmeshed in grace.
  I've also shared about wanting to lose weight. My meds have the terrible side effect of creating carb and sugar cravings. I recently found out anti-depressants turn off the brain chemical that tells me when I am full. A ravenous hunger comes exactly thirty-five minutes after taking them. Am I able to resist the physical impulses to eat falsely generated by meds?
  No. Not by myself.
  The good news is, in Christ, I can be adequate to the task of taking authority over this false hunger cycle..
  My more than adequate part in this for now is making better choices when the hunger explodes. There's a bowl of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter. Eating apples is better than feasting on toast slathered in peanut butter.
  Adequacy is fully enmeshed in an active prayer life.
  Adequacy is fully enmeshed in humility, too.
  Adequacy is fully enmeshed in community...there's a need for others to offer encouragement and  help us succeed.
  I realize now that goals are expressions of hope. Hope is more than adequate to enable the impossible become possible. Forgive me, Father, for having squashed hope and expectancy.
  "And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency comes from God who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." 2 Cor 3:4-6
  I hadn't looked up today's scripture until I'd finished writing. Thank You, Lord, for showing me I am on the right track. AMEN!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...