Wednesday 22 March 2017

BIC by Susan L.

  The more I am learning about Anabaptists and the Brethren in Christ, the more I am finding that this is a faith home that aligns with my own ideals. My church has been exploring their doctrine with the idea that our currently non-denominational church will move into becoming a church of the Brethren in Christ.
  There's a number of reasons for this potential move. Mostly it's because it will give our independent church a community. With that community comes support, accountability, and greater resources to help our church grow.
  We've just finished a ten week video teaching about what BIC believes. It's an older one from the Meeting House where we follow the teachings of Bruxy Cavey via video. This series may be older but it has blown through my heart like a breath of fresh air.
  From what I have understood, BIC is all about being a community of believers. It's not a community of "believe what we believe or else" but is about coming together in grace and love. The lessons were more about sharing different ideas and allowing us the space to make up our own minds. If anything the aspirations of the church are anti-religion especially when religion is used to divide God's Church.
  To come to a place that is willing to draw wisdom from the wise regardless of doctrinal differences honours God, the source of all wisdom.
  I don't have to agree with everything the BIC believes. In fact, they encourage questioning and more importantly, will facilitate answer finding. Many times Bruxy has stated that if you aren't growing spiritually or as a child of God by attending the Meeting House, they would be more than willing to help you find a church home where that would be possible regardless of denomination.
  This is my favorite image that Bruxy used to illustrate an idea. The three circles represent the doctrinal practices of Catholicism, Protestantism and the Anabaptists. The shaded part is where our own beliefs are part of the other faiths. In the middle, as it should be, is the Cross of Christ. In the grand scheme of things, this is all that matters. At least, it is all that matters to me.
  My own walk has taken me to many different churches for a season and a reason. My Anglican upbringing has played a role in shaping my own personal faith and beliefs. This variety of experiences has shown me that Protestant style dancing and singing for joy are as much a part of worship as Catholic quiet moments of contemplation. It's wonderful to be free to celebrate and partake of the beauty found in the practices of all who follow Christ.
  By keeping the circle of circles in mind and remembering the jagged line I blogged about the other day I can become a better person. I can find the ability to love others unconditionally because I don't want to break the circles apart or allow a jagged line of judgement to be a barrier to God's love. He loves every one of His creations regardless of where they attend a Sunday's service. He even loves those who don't!
  Not that this will be easy or even if it will be something I can do all the time. I am only human after all. Yet, with Him leading me, it will be possible.
  Thank You, Lord, for Your forgiveness and grace. Thank You for personalizing our faith and for meeting us where we are at. Thank You for helping me grow in this journey of acceptance and grace.
  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. For by me your days will be multiplied, and years of life will be added to you." Prov 9:10-11
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...