Sunday, 16 November 2014

Safety by Susan L.

  The ole body won out this morning with a bit of a sleep in. It was much needed although the last couple of days haven't been so strenuous, only tidying up around the house and doing laundry. It's a bit milder today so I want to get outside into my own garden to cut back the perennials. The wheelbarrow has been lying full for quite some time.
  It'd be a good day to have a fire. The boxes of scrap wood in the basement need to be cleared away. They are a bit of a tripping over hazard.
  There's always something isn't there?
  Carbon monoxide detectors are now mandatory in Ontario as of October 31. I picked one up yesterday and installed it in the basement at the foot of the stairs. They'd been sold out so I hadn't got one sooner. There was a whole list of not to do's with it and instructions about where to install the thing. All the do nots made it difficult to find installation places in a tiny house so hopefully where it is will suffice.
  I should have installed one years ago.
  My cousin and her family were lucky. She woke up in the middle of the night with a blinding headache and was having a hard time breathing. She got her husband and children out in time and called 911. Their house was filled with carbon monoxide. Snow had blocked the outflow pipe from the furnace.  
  Something to keep in mind if your furnace direct vents from the foundation and not up a chimney.
  When my own furnace needs replacing, they will change the venting which means my chimney is no longer needed. I'll be able to tear it down to give me some more space in the bathroom. Space that is sorely needed. I'll want it to be outside somewhere that I can easily keep the snow clear.
  Be safe, folks. Make sure you have a CO detector. Not because it is law, but because it is wise.
  "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning." Prov 9:9

 

No comments:

Post a Comment