Friday 15 February 2019

Rest for the Soul


  “This (equipping God’s people) will continue until we all come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s nature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ.” Ephesians 4:13

  Enough time has been spent acknowledging where gender inequality rears its ugly head. Let’s face it. It’s there. As my friend H pointed out, it always has been. I hope one day, it will be a subject of history; that future generations will view the division as an archaic blight upon a primitive society. I imagine them being somewhat puzzled by it all and unable to understand why such a thing even existed. They will be like us when we read about slavery.
  Or maybe seeking to achieve equality isn’t the route we women need to go. Men and women aren’t equal because we are different.
  Short of taking performance enhancing drugs, I will never be as strong. Men will never be able to bear children. But that’s the beauty of it. Instead of equality, how about being seen as wonderfully unique? How about our differences being opportunities to celebrate what makes men, men and women, women? (Sometimes it seems as though I keep repeating myself. Maybe it’s because this is something I need to hear over and over again!)
  We were created for partnership and not just with each other but with God.
  It’s going to take that special relationship for me to finally be comfortable in the presence of men. It’s going to take an amazing infusion of God’s love to be filled enough to be at peace in the presence of men.
  And that’s what I want.
  Now, if only my body will let me. I just need to find the shut off switch for the fight/flight response that subconsciously kicks in whenever I am around men. Even around the men I trust and admire, it’s there, simmering in the background…waiting…assuming it is going to be needed.
  It makes being in a mixed crowd exhausting and difficult; a circumstance to be avoided whenever possible because it takes so much hard work to get through it. The reality is mixed crowds are everywhere!
  To be afraid is not of God. To be ashamed isn't either.
  I feel it’s time I made a change in how I deal with this response. Instead of attempting to shut it down by force and the power of will (and medication), perhaps I need to validate and comfort this inner voice. 
  It is my own voice crying out. I need to take her by the hand and explore why she doesn’t feel safe. I bet there’s more going on than simply going to yellow alert because a man entered the room or worse, stands behind me. That sends the screamin' heebie jeebies into full on red alert!
  Instead of hating or being frustrated with this “weakness” of mine, I need to love her to death. Or if that doesn’t work, ask Jesus to hold her close until the fear fades away.
  Jesus, thank you for revealing all this. Thank you for blessing me with a heart that, deep down, doesn't want to hate or fear men. Thank you for the times I have felt compassion for them and even love for them in their brokenness. Thank you for this revelation of Your love for all of us in our brokenness. Thank you that I will be free of the need to be on guard. In Your name I pray. AMEN!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...