Friday 11 May 2018

I am a son of God. Romans 8:14

  "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God." NKJV
  "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God." JCB

  It's good the newer translation is able to make this affirmation more inclusive for people of both genders.
  Inclusivity. That's what faith in Jesus Christ is supposed to include. Thanks to the teaching series at church, I've become more aware of my own leaning towards labels, assumptions and the habit of categorizing other people. It is human nature to do these things.
  It happens so quickly that sometimes the idea, the prejudicial assumption, is in my head before even realizing it was something I was thinking about! Those arrows fly so fast they put Robin Hood to shame!
  While reading a book, I also realized the characters I imagined were all Caucasian. Like me. Why is that? Is it because a white face is the one I am so familiar with seeing as it's one I look at every day? Is it because I live in a predominantly white area? Is it because I am still influenced by my dad's racist ideas? Did they somehow shape my child's brain into believing the myth of white superiority?
  Can I forgive him for that? Can I forgive his father for teaching him these things? His father before him?
  Hmmm, there I go, being gender specific in laying blame. Maybe it was a grandmother who taught my dad about the inferiority of others because of skin colour or the country they came from.
  My grandmother on my mom's side refused to have her children born in the "colonies" instead opting for a dangerous boat trip back to England to have her children.
  Thank You, Lord, that I realize these attitudes are founded in lies. Family, culture, upbringing, education, status, the country I live in, the society, the class have all played a part in becoming the bow that shoots the hurtful arrows.
  So I am trying to retrain my brain to follow the inclusivity of God. I want the arrows stored in a quiver for all eternity.

  It is only through embracing God's nature, His love specifically, that this will ever stop happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...