Monday 26 March 2018

Romans 5:17

  I am reigning with Him.
  "For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ." NKJV
  "For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God's wonderful grace and his gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ." JCB

  Again I sit here amazed how today's affirmation ties into what my church has been teaching us in the latest series, Why Did Jesus Die? Yesterdays' teaching was about shutting down religion when religious practices are taught as being the way to earn or receive salvation and grace.
  It's got me thinking about what salvation is.
  The day I invited Jesus into my heart, mumbling through the confession part of being a sinner, was a momentous one. A re-birthday! In that moment, I was forgiven. Everything was forgiven. The slate was wiped clean from the past to eternity. I turned from my old ways, embracing the new, desperately wanting the fullness of Christ to reign in all aspects of my being.
  I had come home to the place I'd longed for all my life.
  Salvation includes being given God's indwelling Spirit to help us, guide us and teach us. Surrendering as opposed to doing becomes the path to righteousness. Can I describe surrendering as ongoing participation? It isn't simply saying, "Okay, Jesus, I have given myself to You. I'll go to church. I'll read my Bible. The rest is up to You."
  For relationships to succeed, they take involvement and commitment.
  It is a gift, this wanting to change because with meticulous planning, God chose all aspects of who I am perfectly.
  Perfection that was/is clouded through experiences and lies.
  So how does insecurity tie into this? Yes, I am frightfully insecure and full of self-doubt. Maybe it's simply because I haven't worn the life giving, awesome truths of God long enough yet for them to fit comfortably. In a way, that's a gift, too, this insecurity because it keeps me running back to Him for assurance and comfort.
  But I can also add that God frequently gives me the courage to rise above my insecurity. I make the choice to be obedient to His will and each time am blessed and humbled a thousand-fold. Maybe that's part of salvation, too; being enabled to rise above the things of this world that hold us back.

  I frequently ask God to forgive me for my sins. Most definitely not because un-confessed sin will stop me from getting into heaven. It's not because of some self-punishing, guilt trip. I confess these things for my benefit through an awareness of where sin still has a hold in my life. Forgiving someone else is for the same reason: my benefit.
  But I also wonder if I am going about it because of a lack of understanding about salvation.
  When I ask for forgiveness from God, is it like saying, "I know You sent Your Son to be slain so that I may be forgiven for all my sins, but there's this one...was it part of the deal?" Is confession like holding a corpse up to God?
  Maybe it should be more like this, "Lord, thank You for revealing where sin still has a foothold. Thank You, that through Your grace and healing, I will be able to overcome these challenges."
  Hmmm, it's a language thing.
  Either way I am confessing and being reconciled with the truth that existed before the dawn of time.
  I've already been reconciled with God through Jesus! That's a forever deal!
  Do I feel myself fit to reign beside Him? I think I need to work through the earthly understanding that those who reign do so through the abuse of power. Which is so NOT God's kingdom! Which has me wondering, if all God's children are equal and precious, what is there to reign over?
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...