Wednesday 3 January 2018

I Am Not Condemned. Romans 8:1

  "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit." NKJV
  "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus." JCB

  "I have discovered this principle of life," Paul says in Romans 7:21, "That when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong."
  This is far more than affirming, it's validating. It's knowing I am in good company with some of my own struggles. It's knowing I am not alone in having good intentions backfire...
 
  I did another quick Google search regarding the oft quoted expression, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Once again, an idea in the Bible has been skewed because Scriptures say, time and again, the road to hell is paved with sin not good intentions. Thanks, daily-bible-study-tips.com.
  So here's an interesting question: Are our intentions unintentionally shaped by sin? I think that's what Paul is getting at.
  Which begs another question: If our intentions are good, is it sin when we unintentionally end up doing harm? Or is it because of sin that harm has a way of happening regardless of our wanting to do good?
  Now there's a mouthful to chew on!

  For many, including yours truly, wanting to fix, to help, is a way of showing how much we care about someone. While I appreciate others' good intentions when they want to "help" by giving unasked for advice, it's not their fault when I end up feeling condemned or inadequate because that's my own issue. (Lord, I lift my hurts to You.)
  Hmmm, if my understanding of love is broken, it can only result in a broken behaviour or choice.
  Yet, because I belong to Jesus, his Grace has a way of making things all work out in the end. He does not condemn us for caring for each other because kindness is love in action regardless of how it is received. I have no control over that, only He does.

  Setting out with the intention to cause harm isn't even on the table this morning. I just want to mention that God has a place in His heart for everyone. Especially the hurting. He doesn't condemn you for that. It's why He gave us Jesus.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...