Wednesday 23 October 2013

South Paw by Susan L.

This might be a bit of a rerun or a recap of one of the most pivotal moments in my travels along the Black River. I did an exercise several years ago, long after I had read the book "Homecoming" by John Bradshaw. It was the only thing I retained from the entire book; the only reason I am sure it ended up in my hands. It took some time to gather the courage needed to begin. The exercise involved writing with my non-dominant hand. In my case, the left. This exercise actually taps into a different part of our brains. Just as Mr. Bradshaw warns, I'll do the same: please, have a support network or person in place before trying this exercise. It can be challenging. Even heart wrenching. Yet, at the same time, it is fascinating to see what is revealed. The childish printing gave me an opportunity to listen and discover my "inner child", a concept I had once arrogantly pooh-poohed. She had a lot to say. Seven pages worth. It opened my heart as I read her story, my story, unbridled of punitive and harsh adult "codes". Those rules and judgements ingrained that corrupted how I saw the world and myself. I allowed her to share without placing my adult knowledge and perspective on what she had to say. I admit that was tough. The scrawling letters helped me remain a listener. There were a lot of really ugly attitudes. God has forgiven me for these prideful understandings and for the self hate they birthed. It's good to remember the grace of God. "The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore the eye is good, your whole body will be full of light." Mat 6:22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...