Wednesday 25 September 2013

Ground Control by Susan L.

Someone near and dear to my heart reached out last night. She was in the throes of a full blown panic attack and didn't know what to do. She had enough awareness to text me those terrifying words, "Sue, call me!" So I did. I've developed an arsenal of grounding tools so I pulled out the best: running water. It has always worked. By placing my hands under the faucet and focusing on the feel helps me reconnect to the present. The sound helps, too. Thankfully it worked for her. Within minutes the worst of the attack had passed. Before we hung up, after talking for a while, I shared about grounding tools. If water isn't nearby, a stone, a coin, the couch, or anything tactile could be used in its place. It's about shifting focus away from the awful gasping for air that usually accompanies a panic attack. It's about taking the mind out of disconnect or flight mode. It's about finding a way to return to the "now". It isn't easy. All you want to do is run but there's nothing to run from except your own mind. I don't like writing about them. It triggers the feelings. My chest is tight from my own vivid memories of how this utter loss of control can feel. But that's okay. At this level I can pray easily to ground myself. "But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life." Jn 4:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...