Wednesday 4 September 2019

Rethink, Reset


“If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will support me.” Psalm 139:9-10

  What beautiful imagery: to ride the wings of the morning!
  I imagine soaring through a sky laden with pinks and soft golds. Lavender clouds scrub the night from the horizon. The last of the stars give a wink and a nod then vanish. The ground below wears a shimmering veil of silver dew that grows more and more brilliant as the cold, dark grasp of shadow slips away.
  Smile.
  Fanciful stuff but I don’t think those are the type of wings the Psalmist is talking about.
  I think the wings just might be in the shape of a to-do list, lunch making, heading off to work or school; all the things that fill the day ahead greet us the moment we open our eyes.

  My phone just informed me the new bathtub is on its way. (The wings are flapping, gaining altitude.)The email said it was curbside delivery only. When I ordered it, I thought it was going to be taken into the house…I shared this frustrating news with my friend as well as sharing what today’s post was about.
  Her son has a saying, “Beware the tyranny of the urgent.”
  The wings have been flapping a lot lately.
  Lord I trust that this very tiny problem will be resolved.

  I also have another friend whose love of the Lord is wrapped around everything in her life. She once shared that every morning, as soon as her eyes are opened, she greets the Lord with, “Good Morning, Abba!” I doubt there is a better way to clip “tyranny’s” wings.
  So, Abba Father, I have been up for just one hour yet that hour is long enough to get a second cup of coffee. Long enough to start writing. Long enough to make my bed. Long enough to get angry, frustrated, and a bit panicky.
  Long enough to realize I have it all backwards. My day belongs to God, not the wings of the morning. 
  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...