Monday 16 September 2019

It's Time


“Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.” Hebrews 10:24

  Once again the seeds of an idea are at the forefront of my thoughts. It’s not a new idea but one that has been present before. In fact, almost every time I sit and create a visual prayer, I feel led to teach others how to do this, “The Art of Prayer.” I have yet to obey but been very adept at finding reasons for it not to happen.
  Every one of them is fear based. So let’s break these fears down.
  I feel woefully inadequate to do this ministry. It’s not the same as teaching someone to draw or paint. There’s a whole other level involved which causes me to be extremely cautious. (Ha! Terrified is more like it. The “what if’s” are having a grand ole time stomping confidence into the ground.)
1.       The biggest stumbling block is the lack of training to be a therapist, a counselor or a minister. I have had training to be a peer support worker… now where did I get the idea I would be responsible to fix everything? This would be a peer group with God and faith in Jesus Christ as our common foundation. We would be a small community who could be there for each other as the art, as God, speaks into our lives.
  The answer: Many of the skills I have learned about group facilitation can be utilized like creating a comfort agreement, doing check ins at the start and end of each session. Oh, right, this isn’t a secular group so oral prayer can be a key component of the whole process.
2.        I would have to allow people into my home; a home I have kept as my personal sanctuary when it is mine only by the grace of God. (Forgive me, Lord.) 
        The answer:  It’s time to lose the isolation habit, something else whose season is finished…at least once the renos are complete. (Smile. Is that another excuse?) I will have adequate space to host a small group. If it’s bigger? I can get one of those small folding tables. If it gets too big? I can always ask to use someone else’s home. Space is not an issue. Not one bit. I could even start the ball rolling now. All I need to do is find someone who would be willing to host the group. Or maybe that’s putting the cart before the horse…it would be wise to run this idea past the church leaders then see if anyone is interested.
3.       It’s expensive. (Snort.) That nasty tosses God’s ability to provide for all my needs right out the window. The answer: I could draw up a list of basic supplies and everyone could get their own. One of those art kits with a variety of tools, a decent quality sketch book, some glue sticks and scissors would pretty much cover everything. And if it doesn’t, God will provide. I can always ask around for things like old magazines and so forth.
 
  Let's end this with a statement of bold confidence...I have served my apprenticeship under God for this ministry since the first moment I became a believer. The life experiences, even before I knew Him as Lord, has fully equipped me with the necessary skills. That’s good enough for me. It’s time to put into action where the heart is leading. AMEN!
  PS. Thank You, Lord, for first and second and third and a million chances to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...