Sunday 2 December 2018

Bear it and grin.


  “Then at the resurrection of the righteous, God will reward you for inviting those who could not repay you.” Luke 14:14

  This passage is about extending hospitality to those who cannot reciprocate in kind.
  Today’s teaching also included encouragement for the introvert to find ways of connecting with people we don’t normally associate with. It hit home. If I was any more introverted, I’d be inside out. (Smile.)
  Shy. Reserved. Reticent. Heck, let’s call it what it is…I am not comfortable being around people. I guess it boils down to distrust. No, distrust is too harsh. Hmmm, this is far more complicated. There’s a whack of things going on here.

  Yup. Distrust.
  Although, lately, there’s been a surprising change in how I interact with others. It’s becoming easier to start conversations with people I don’t know very well. (!) I even find myself looking for something to talk about. God has been good in helping me remember things they may have said in passing that are important to them.
  Asking questions about what they said is like saying, “I see you, I hear you, and you matter.”
  And it’s usually safe. (Smile.)
  There’s a balloon involved in this new way of relating. A few weeks ago, they had some helium balloons at church. They were handing them out to the kids after the service. I boldly asked one if it would be okay if I got one, too. Being silly is a good ice breaker. It’s still on the kitchen table slowly shriveling up as the gas condenses. I haven’t the heart to pop it. (Not only introverted but a big kid at heart. I always grin and chase them down when the dish soap bottle accidentally farts blows floating bubbles in the kitchen.)
  No, I am not going to defend my utter delight in simple pleasures! If that makes me odd, so be it. The ability to find and enjoy the whimsical has been a gift in dire times.
  Anyways, the next week I had a wonderful but brief chat with the little girl who told me I could have the balloon. She still had hers. We shared a smile about our common reluctance to trash them. Her mom did an eye roll thing. Ignoring that, her daughter and I talked about how funny balloons are when they begin looking like wizened old men.
  So, starting small…er, short… is ok.
  This dialogue thing takes some practice. Maybe that’s part of why it challenges me so. I haven’t had much practice. Yet having a dialogue with someone is the first step in hospitality, isn't it?
 
  It’s leaving me feeling rather excited because there have been changes. Some are more subtle than others but it’s all for the better. Perhaps in time the "in" can become an "ex" as in extroverted…naw…way too flashy for me. Eccentric will be just fine. (A big smile to close off with.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...