Friday 3 August 2018

Island Lake, Orangeville, Ontario

  In the middle of a growing urban sprawl, beside a pre-fab concrete company and beside one of the busiest thoroughfares to Ontario's cottage country lies this blue gem. It struck me as I put the kayak in the water that even our landscapes are multi-cultural! I am thankful conservation areas like this are such an integral part of this country.
  I am always safety conscious. Boating alone isn't the wisest. After I paid the small admission fee, the woman who guarded the gate informed me it was a busy day, that there were lots of people taking advantage of the oasis. She also said they had staff available should a boater get in trouble. All I had to do was call them on my cell phone. She gave me a map and directed me to the areas where it was most likely to see wildlife.
  I was lucky enough to get a parking spot right beside the ideal shallow sandy slope for kayak launching and for disembarking. So, with emergency safety kit stowed, life jacket zipped, cell phone and car keys sealed in an inflated bag, off I went.
  I now understand the sailing term "crabbing". Unless my kayak is nose to the wind, she has a habit of skewing sideways. I wonder if a cover over the seating area would help...the boat acts like a wind scoop that twists the nose sideways. It gets a bit frustrating trying to paddle in a straight line.

  Beneath the water's surface are cut down trees. They must have been cut before the area was flooded by the installation of the two dams built to form the reservoir. The stumps and submerged logs are like reefs in the ocean, havens for small fish to hide in and around. Most of the trees are deep enough they don't pose a hazard but in a few places they were closer to the surface. It wouldn't be a place to take a speed boat. 
  I cut across the skinny part of the lake to the north shore then headed east. Cattails and trees line the shore. A fallen log with its nose submerged was the perfect sunning spot for a pair of painted turtles. 
  A Green Heron flew past. I've only ever seen one other over ten years ago. They are much smaller than their Great Blue counterparts. What a blessing!
  As I paddled further east, there were ducks and Canada geese preening themselves on the shore of the large island. Heading under the bridge, I came around the pair of islands only to see a pair of Loons. I was amazed to see these normally shy birds smack in the middle of a busy, noisy environment. They didn't appear to have any chicks with them which had me wondering why. Did they fall victim to one of the pike in the lake? A hawk? The heat? I will never know. Hopefully next year will bring success.
 The wind picked up as I headed west, back to the launch site. Coming around the point was tough paddling for tired arms! 
  I managed to disembark with relative ease. The sideways beaching makes all the difference!
  I am glad I went because it was wonderful to be on the water under an open, albeit cloudy sky. 
  Thank You Lord that there are people dedicated to preserving wildlife habitat. Thank You for granting me the means and determination to get out there and enjoy these sanctuaries. I feel much better for it.
  "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." Proverbs 4:23



No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...