Friday 22 June 2018

Luke 12:37

  I am watching for His return.
  "Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them." NKJV
  "The servants who are ready and waiting for His return will be rewarded. I tell you the truth, He himself will seat them, put on an apron, and serve them as they sit and eat!" JCB

  When I imagine Jesus saying all this, I realize His disciples would have had no idea what would happen to their beloved Teacher. When I imagine them gathered, devasted and grieving over Jesus's death...they weren't waiting for His return. They were lost, bereft of the guidance, the lessons and encouragement they had while with Him. They didn't know how the Story of stories ended. They didn't know Jesus's death was just the beginning.
  I imagine their shock and disillusionment when their King didn't end up ruling the world. Little did they know this promise would be fulfilled.
  It makes me all the more grateful to have a Bible. It makes me all the more grateful for the Holy Spirit because His presence means I will never be apart from Jesus again. I will never have to know up close and personal what the disciples felt after Jesus died: life without Him.

  Then I think about an apron. Such a humble symbol for the heart of God. Even today, anyone who wears one is a servant.
  In another fanciful burst of imagination, I can see Jesus putting His on, an apron woven with the golden threads of truth and righteousness.
  He smiles a most beautiful smile of excitement and delight, " Okay, my beloved, we have work to do. How can I help?"
  In a mad flurry that's more like a dance of joy, ancient cobwebs are purged from my soul. The disregarded boxes under the stairs are opened and finally sorted. We have yet to go through the closet. (Smile.)
  It's always more enjoyable to clean house when there is Someone to help.
  Maybe I need to think about my aversion to aprons. I never wear one when I cook but what a wonderful, tangible, way to connect to the servant heart of Jesus. I do have one for woodworking that has never been worn. It would add another rich dimension of relating to my Carpenter, the builder of peace, whenever I have the pleasure of making sawdust.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...