Wednesday 6 June 2018

I am Upheld. Psalm 37:17

  "For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, But the Lord upholds the righteous." NKJV
  "For the strength of the wicked shall be shattered, but the Lord takes care of the Godly." JCB

  There was a time when I would have read a passage like this and thought that God was a god of punishment and vengeance; that unless we toe the line...God will abandon us.
  Anabaptists are encouraged to read the Old Testament as a road map leading to the life, teachings, and death of Jesus. It's one of many ideals I really like about my new faith. This philosophy has reshaped how I think about today's passage.

  Yes, the strength of the wicked will be shattered because once the realization comes that we can't do it on our own, under our own power...Jesus is waiting with arms open wide.
 
  No matter the choices we have made. No matter how much evil had a hold on our lives. No matter if we mocked the idea of God...Jesus will welcome us home. He will then gently and lovingly lead us into righteousness.
  Jesus is a kind and patient teacher. It's okay not to get it right the first time. Or the second. Or third. As long as we keep trying, He will honour those efforts.
 
  I have just realized, evil is the utter absence of love. Jesus is the epitome of love.

  Which has me thinking about some of my own struggles with sin, where the devil has stepped in and happily makes a mess of things. It is his world after all.
  But, I am God's child. Nothing will ever take that away.

  And I've been blessed with the most amazing tool to overcome the sin in my life. Thank You for this gift!
  Some Christians ask, "What would Jesus do?" because Jesus responds to everything through love's lens.
  Lord, the question to ask myself is, "What would Love do?"
  I pray it will lead me into a deeper understanding of Your ways.

  Lord, I am going to need a lot of help because this isn't just about loving others, it's about loving myself, too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...