Saturday 23 June 2018

2 Corinthians 12:10

  I am weak, then I am strong.
  "Therefore I take pleasure in infidelities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." NKJV
  "That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. " JCB

  There was some pressure on our small town mayor to remove the reciting of the Lord's Prayer from counsel meetings. He refused to eradicate a crucial part of the history and culture of the area. Instead, he invited anyone who was offended by the prayer to leave the room while it was being said. I don't know if future mayors will uphold this practice.
  The prayer used to be part of the morning school routine along with singing God Save the Queen and our national anthem.
  This is happening without violence, without protest. Maybe it says something about Canadian politeness because we want to make all people welcome. So, if a prayer stops that from happening, we won't say it.
  For a while, there has been some controversy about Christmas, about wishing someone something other than Happy Holidays. Lately I've noticed an unapologetic upsurge in people boldly wishing each other a Merry Christmas simply because that's what December 25 is all about.
  I am grateful that, as a Christian in Canada, I am not afraid of violence over my beliefs. I don't need to hide who I am. But, the subtle eradication of anything that hints at Christianity is far harder to stand up against. Even though 67% of Canada identifies as Christian, perhaps some of our passivity has much to do with history.

  The Aboriginal Schools are Canada's greatest shame. It was an attempt at genocide over the course of nearly a century that has left a swath of destruction in its path.
  The Church, both Catholic and Protestant, played a huge role in this. Our own cultural and historic beliefs of white supremacy, based on our British roots, gave tacit permission to "save the natives from themselves".
  Today, in writing about the subtle anti-Christian movement, for the first time I have a small insight into the pain inflicted on our Aboriginal peoples who were violently denied their cultural identity. As a mom, I can only envision the depths of their sorrow when their children were taken from them to live "The white man's way." The schools were places of abuse, neglect, persecution and death.
  May God forgive us for what we have done.

  There is a lot happening to atone for the mistakes of the past. However, there is still a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...