Wednesday 23 May 2018

I am a Temple. 1 Corinthians 3:16

  "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" NKJV
  "Don't you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?" JCB

  There are a whole lot adjectives that pour out of this affirmation. Blessed. Holy. Sacred. Beloved. Gifted. Free. Undefeatable. United. Renewed. Humble. Growing. Upheld. Promised. Wise...Chosen...Forgiven...Reborn...Purified...A veritable feast of words to fill a hungering soul.
 
  It's hard to fathom sometimes; to even think about living in and through these wonderful truths. So much stuff is more than willing to get in the way. For me, it's believing these word-gifts apply and are applied to every facet of my life. Well, maybe not "wise" all the time. (Smile.)
 
  I think this can be summed up in one word, "Belonging." Live in it. Rest in it. Bring it to others. Be a place, a person, who creates an aura of acceptance as generously as Jesus created in us new life.
  I imagine an ancient church where, for hundreds of years, people have gone to pray and worship. God's presence is infused into every rafter, every beam, every hewn stone and dust mote. His peace, this sense of belonging, resides in these holy places.
  I get the same feeling of coming home, of belonging, being in a forest where the green and vibrant canopy above is the arching roof of God's temple. The moss is God's carpet. The wildflowers release the sweet aroma of incense.

  For others, a church is an environment the devil uses to condemn and shame. Our enemy also twists God's people and their understanding of Him and His word to serve his evil mandate: to keep everyone as far from Jesus as possible. I am not condemning anyone because I can humbly admit I have caused hurt because of my faith without meaning to. I hope I can be forgiven.

  Jesus is perfect in every way. I am imperfect.
  There are "Eureka!" days I "get it" and days I forget I got it at all!
  There are days when my human frailty makes me slip into old habits firmly cemented in old beliefs. Thankfully, the mortar holding these things to my soul is old, brittle and falling away one piece at a time.
  I am not much in the way of a grand, awe inspiring temple...more like an eight pew, saggy roofed chapel with a wheezing pump organ that has missing keys to play worship music on. (Another smile.)

  Humble as it is, my little chapel is built on the firmest of foundations. Its cornerstone is Christ. Its framework is upheld by the Holy Spirit while angel wings hold up the roof.
  And my spirit soars with delightful optimism because my chapel is under renovation. To God be the glory! AMEN!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...