Saturday 5 May 2018

I am Sheltered. Psalm 91:1

  "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." NKJV
  "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty." JCB

  This is my favorite Psalm. It has been for a while since, well, the beginning of my walk with Jesus. Through trials, sorrows and madness these words have comforted me and assured me. No matter where I was, He was there, too, keeping me safe beneath His wings. (v.4)
  I think of the Jewish temple, the inner sanctum behind the veil. Only God and the priest truly knew what went on inside this secret place, the sole domain of the holiest priests. No one else was admitted.
  But He gave us an advantage, a back stage pass, in the form of Jesus who admits all who believe into the secret place of His Father's presence. It is no longer the sole domain of priests.
  Our temple is everywhere. There's no cleansing ritual. There's no formula. No hoops. The opportunity for intimate connection with our heavenly Father is all around us.

  Should we choose to believe it. Should we choose to pursue it. (Please do!)

  It's within the seen and the unseen realms of our heart. It's within the lyrics to a song. It's within prayer and contemplation. It's within rest and work...It's within. But it's also without.
 Time nor wind can contain our connection. Neither can gravity or the fathomless depths of the universe. It's beyond all these and more.
  Once again, language fails me. How can mere mortal words describe the indescribably beautiful paradox of God's shadow?
  Maybe, if I simply say...it's big.

  And I am left smiling about how a thousand, million words can be contained in three letters. It's a humbling moment for a writer.

  Lord, forgive me for when I wander away and do things the world's way. Let me remember to acknowledge You when life is good. Let me learn, even more, what abiding, what living in and through Your presence means. Let my life reflect the price of admission Jesus paid on the cross. In Jesus' name I pray, AMEN!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...