Tuesday 3 April 2018

I Have Rest Provided. Mathew 11:28-30

  "Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and My burden is light." NKJV
Related image  "Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." JCB


Image result for yoke  A yoke is a shaped wood piece that fits over the necks of a pair of oxen that is then attached to whatever they are pulling like a plow or cart. It also serves to keep the two animals parallel to each other so they don't end up going in opposite directions. Animals are usually partnered with another of similar size and pace so that one doesn't end up doing most of the work. The yoke enables an even, efficient distribution and use of cow power.
  And thanks to Google and this image from the Watchtower online library, I just realized a yoke is something used by people, too!

  I had always understood this particular passage as a metaphor for being paired with Jesus in a yoke built for two; that He was there helping me bear the load of life. In seeing this image of the woman, I am struck by the thought that a yoke used this way parallels the cross beam of the Cross where Jesus lay down His life for us. It leaves me humbled that the Lord took such weight upon Himself.

  Using a yoke enables a person to carry a tremendous amount of stuff with greater ease. Far more than carrying a bucket or an armful of something would ever amount to. Twice the work in half the amount of time is probably why some production manager started using a piece of wood this way. It took a smart soul to realize if it was shaped to nestle over the neck and wrapped in cloth, it would be far less painful for the bearer.
  Maybe that's part of it, too. Sometimes we don't know the weight we bear. Burdens have a way of weighing down our shoulders even when they are invisible.
  Yet, Jesus says His burden is light. I imagine the two water jugs this woman is carrying splitting into shards. Blinding beams of golden white light stream out from the cracks and holes. A fanciful visual that allows me to imagine what the Lord does and has done with my burdens.
  Thank You, Lord, for providing metaphors with such rich and diverse meaning behind them.
  Thank You as well, Lord, that You have raised me up to being far more than a beast of burden.
  Thank You most of all that in You, I have found rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...