Monday 30 April 2018

I am Set Free. John 8:31-32, 36

  "Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free (from being slaves to sin)...Therefore, if the Son makes you free you shall be free indeed." NKJV
  "Jesus said to the people who believed in him, "You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free...So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free."

  There is nothing more wonderful than how the Lord works! Amen?
  In the midst of a flurry of correspondence with my friend H, a question arose about the significance of the word, "Therefore." Which just happens to appear in today's NKJV translation!
  www.bible.ca explained it as this...When you come to a "therefore" in the Bible, you should check to see what it is THERE FOR! You see, the word tells us that what's about to be presented is based on what's already been said. The idea is, in view of the facts just given, there is a statement of conclusion that follows.
  "Therefore" means there is a gem of wisdom and truth waiting there for us to read, to explore, and to understand. Then these truth jewels can be applied to our daily lives with the help of the Holy Spirit. 
  I have to confess that abiding in the freedom of life with Jesus takes this ole gal lots and lots of practice!

  Thank You, Lord, for Your abounding grace and Your incalculable fountain of forgiveness.

  Once again, I am reminded of Lazarus after he was raise from the dead, covered by the wrappings of the tomb. For me, it is one of the greatest metaphors for understanding what role sin plays in my life. It also is a wonderful expression of how grace works. We aren't unwrapped all at once because it takes time to peel off the layers. It takes help.
  Immersing ourselves in truth peels off a layer. Another truth, another layer. Oops, that strip of linen needs to come off first before this one can be peeled away...
  Which has me celebrating life with Jesus as an infinite, eternal journey of possibilities.
  Lord, my heart wants more than anything to remain faithful to Your teachings. You know my weaknesses, You know what causes me to trip and fall. Lead me into truth and righteousness (being right with You), in Jesus name I pray. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...